Travel & Holidays

Yikes, I dunno about Brisvagus but its def cheaper from Melbourne on QF if you find a sale online.

I dunno about SQ, owned by the Singaporean Government, I think i’d rather Qantas.

That said RB are selling some cheap flights to Heathrow but with two stops and they are in some very bad counties.

Anyways, to my point of this post, wouldn’t it be good if there was VAST on board these planes, I would never want to leave the plane :stuck_out_tongue:

Is that bad?

It can be bad, depends on how you look at it.

Anyways politics aside.

1 Like

The Singaporean government is what is known as a democratic authoritarian regime, in that they hold elections as a means of consolidating and validating their power (while using their control of the media to fragment political opposition). Only one party has been in power in the past 60 years.

Still, I really love Singapore so I don’t mind paying their national carrier.

1 Like

We originally were thinking of flying Jetstar to Sydney and then getting a QANTAS flight to London, but we worked it out to be roughly the same as from Brisbane.

$1700 return from Europe isn’t that bad for Brisbane, especially for January. Most airlines are around $2000-2500.

Having checked out QANTAS, it’s 2 stops but significantly cheaper. Interesting.

1 Like

The traveller Notes than Qantas has plans to fly from The east coast to New York non-stop in 2022, saving 2 hours of stopover time. They also had plans to launch a Sydney-London non-stop flights by 2022.

1 Like

http://www.news.com.au/travel/australian-holidays/queensland/qantas-dreamliners-to-fly-direct-from-brisbane-airport-to-multiple-us-cities/news-story/8f8dc9c36e14268ea0e81205569f7eb1

It will put Brisbane in range of direct flights to cities including Dallas, Las Vegas, Vancouver, Chicago and Seattle.

4 Likes

Don’t forget that our airport has award winning bathrooms.

1 Like

Queensland getting rid of offensive place names. Most Americans seeing these names on their travels would be appalled.

1 Like

Qantas has announced that It will cease operations in Dubai. The airline has announced that the Kangaroo route will return to Singapore.

These changes follows:
Before 25 March 2018 - Sydney-Dubai-London Heathrow
After 25 March 2018 - Sydney-Singapore-London Heathrow

This came after when Qantas will ditch its Dubai stopover on the 24 March 2018. Perth will be the stopover point for Qantas Flight 9 & 10 from 24 March 2018.

3 Likes

So that’s just one route is it? It’s still keeping all the other routes to Dubai and then Europe in association with Emirates isn’t it?

Qantas will cease all operations In Dubai from March 2018. However, Qantas has renewed another 5 years of codeshare with Emirates. Unfortunately, due to traffic rights restrictions, EK cannot codeshare Perth-London and Singapore -London Qantas flights.

I thought all QANTAS routines to Europe went through Dubai?

They’re keeping the Emirates codeshare/alliance, but all flights to Dubai will cease.

1 Like

So that means Qantas is now only flying to Europe on the Sydney to London route, via Singapore.

Emirates will keep flying all the other routes into Dubai and then onto Europe. Isn’t that a big downgrade in Qantas services or have they been slowly handing all those to Emirates over the years?

The Dubai services are discontinued on the same day that the Perth to London route begins - so they’ll have two routes at that time (the Perth-London service originates in Melbourne) going to Europe.

The big downgrade came immediately prior to the emirates partnership - this is when you could get to London through Qantas either via Bangkok or Singpaore, and a few years prior to this they’d canned the other Europe service they were still running (Frankfurt).

Qantas has implied that they’ll start running additional non-stop Europe services (Paris and 1 other) via Perth by late 2018 - early 2019 if the Perth - London service is successful. Ceasing Dubai operations is the first step in preparing for Europe non-stops in the coming years.

It would logically be Frankfurt - that would be the three biggest airports in Europe (Heathrow, Paris and Frankfurt).

To be honest, I’m not sure non-stop trips will be that popular. Maybe business class travellers with lots of lying space will, but I strongly doubt any direct service will be cheaper for economy class (compared to a stopover with Singapore Airlines or Qatar), and it would be too uncomfortable to be on a plane for 16-20 hours in a rigid economy seat. I already hate the 12 hour length of the Singapore to Frankfurt flight and I’m sure many others do too.

I much prefer the current stop in Singapore for a few hours.

Agreed. I’d never fly economy for these ultra long non-stop’s, especially in a 787. Economy on the ~14hr long haul’s to the US is punishment enough!

1 Like

Cathay Pacific will start direct flights from Hong Kong to Brussels, Dublin and Copenhagen from March next year. More choices for Australians going to different parts of Europe with only a short stopover in HK if you fly from Sydney and Melbourne in the afternoon.

1 Like