The NRL Rookie

LOU GOODWIN WINS THE NRL ROOKIE
CONTRACT SIGNED WITH THE CANBERRA RAIDERS LIVE TO AIR

Lou Goodwin, the country native from West Wyalong in regional NSW, has won The NRL Rookie – and signed a one-year contract with the Canberra Raiders in front of a capacity crowd of 1000 people, in a live broadcast on 9GO! from The Star Event Centre in Sydney.

“Lou’s strength, fitness and attention to detail in defence is second to none and he will be an excellent asset to the Raiders,” Head Coach Brad Fittler said.

Lou, the self-confessed “country boy with a city haircut”, was constantly referred to throughout the competition as the players’ player, the teammate you want to have beside you going into every game.

Son of rugby league star Matt Goodwin, who played 108 games for the Penrith Panthers in the 1980s, Lou grew up living and breathing rugby league. He won the first three Captain’s Challenges, cementing him firmly as a top contender from the first week of the competition.

“This feels so surreal. I can’t believe it and I’m so excited to make the most of this opportunity with the Raiders,” Lou said.

Luke Tunnecliffe, Executive Producer of The NRL Rookie, said: “I am incredibly proud of all three finalists and delighted for Lou. He has developed from strength to strength throughout the series and that is evident in John Bonasera and Peter Mulholland signing him on for one year with the Raiders here tonight.”

The NRL Rookie was produced by McGuire Media in association with the NRL.

1 Like

Maybe the final for these types of shows would work better if it was like an ‘ordinary’ recorded episode but lead-up to the actual draft aspect of the final which can be live. That way, you can get rid of all the padding which took place last night and have a better build-up to the crescendo

1 Like