The Newsreader

While I concur with my learned friend @TelevisionAU, I wonder if there is a funding partner limitation as well

2 Likes

Surely funding isn’t the issue given the international success the show has had - if the ABC pulled out then others would step in.

Or perhaps there could be a spin-off with new characters and fresh storylines to tackle a new era.

1 Like

Spin off about Nolene and Rob perhaps

Or Geoff and Lindsay back in the 60s

1 Like

The Screen Australia website has added a brief synopsis for season 3, which is now in post-production.

In Season three, we find them in 1989…Dale Jennings, fronting the News At Six solo, has become the most beloved name in news, a Gold Logie nominee, permanently number one in the nightly ratings. Meanwhile Helen’s fearless international reporting has won her an opportunity to be the first woman to both anchor and produce her own current affairs show.

Not the best news for a 4th season.

1 Like

Yeah, just seen this. Not at all a surprise, especially after what that guy from ABC said a couple months ago, and fits in with how a lot of series these days - especially ones on streaming - appear to run for just three lots of episodes.

Probably best, as I wouldn’t want them to drag on the central storylines longer than originally planned, and the show’s quality reduce as a result. There’s only so much tension you can get out of Helen and Dale’s complicated travails in love; the US sitcom Superstore somewhat discovered this when they finally resolved the will-they-won’t-they storyline between their two leads.

Worth pointing out that the decision to make this a show about an historical news team came relatively late in development, as it was originally purely a show about a lavender marriage, and it just so happened to be that Lucas decided on the characters involved working in a newsroom as the framing. If that hadn’t been what underlaid the series, and it was more of a soap - with all its storylines coming in and out and surrounding the presentation of dealing with historical news events - it could probably have ran and ran for much longer and into the '90s.

1 Like

Stan or Binge might pick it up

Bit hard when the production team behind it have decided it’s time as well. Another issue is casting availability as well.

Article also mentions that the show has been pushed back to next year.

2 Likes

Look money talks, especially when it comes to Michael

1 Like

I think money talks yes. But also I think for him if there isn’t a story behind it that is worthy he won’t do it

Michael Lucas confirmed on the Emsolation podcast this morning that this article was untrue. And Sam and Anna were not leaving, but rather the series was always ending at S3. They had the article updated to correct the misinformation.

2 Likes