The Newsreader

There are some exceptions. Some stations which have many transmitters in Regional and Remote Australia, use the same callsign regardless of which state their transmitters are located in.

Also, it’s fiction. There is no real News At Six and there is no real 4KDL.

Many years ago, E Street featured a TV station called WTV8 - never mind that E Street was set in Sydney and WTV was a call-sign that implied it was in Victoria.

4 Likes

How can anyone watch this weekly when the complete season is on iview? As soon as I realised it was on iview I just had to binge the lot. :grinning:

1 Like

I watched the series on iview over a few days but not everyone likes or has the time to binge watch a batch of episodes in favour of just the weekly airing.

1 Like

Assuming no one noticed Nate Byrne (from News Breakfast) in the background representing a network star for the fictional network?

1 Like

There were a number of ‘guests’ in that role. Daniel Doody & Megan Hustwaite also.

2 Likes

The scene was part of episode 5 shown last night and was pivotal, it showed Dale dancing drunk and uncontrollably. The scene came after the station’s Christmas party and just as Dale and Helen’s personal relationship hit the crossroads.

It was an excellent, well written episode. Can’t wait for the season finale this Sunday.

1 Like

The finale is already out?

I know it’s available on iView, but since I don’t have an account (and have no plans to), I have to wait for the TV broadcast.

1 Like

Oh. You should sign up for iView it’s great!

But phew I thought for a moment there was another episode haha

Not a fan of the end of that last episode tbh where Helen abandoned Dale and went to the old CEO’s place… waited until it’s been aired to voice that point. But, it was gripping television.

2 Likes

SMH’s Sinead Stubbins has given a glowing review of The Newsreader, describing it as “the slick, addictive and excellent local drama that might be the best show Australia has produced in years”.

3 Likes

She’s 100% correct!

1 Like

What a great Season Final.

Was that a Seven logo seen at the rival office?

Some touching moments in the show, especially by Geoff and Evelyn Walters. And that scene with Lyndsey and producer Dennis. Go Dennis go :slight_smile:

Cant wait to see what Season 3 brings us in a year (or two’s) time.

3 Likes

Michael Lucas’ thank you message

https://twitter.com/MrMichaelLucas/status/1713503684641067506

It was a genuine Seven logo. In the end credits the producers thanked Seven West Media, presumably for being allowed to show the logo.

Really enjoyed the season finale tonight. So many twists.

3 Likes

A dramatic end for the season. Can they continue the series with the characters no longer working so close together?

2 Likes

Time will tell! They did a bit of a time jump between season one and two… so they could end up having that character come back post the election cycle?

Season 3

We first met Dale Jennings (Sam Reid) and Helen Norville (Anna Torv) in 1986 when a fledgling Dale was desperate to be a star newsreader, and Helen was fighting to be taken seriously as a journalist…

…now, in season three, Dale and Helen have finally achieved both these long held dreams. Dale is News At Six’s ‘King of News’, and Helen’s fearless international reporting has won her great acclaim… But when a cynical network move sees the two former lovers pitted in direct competition, their kinship will be tested as never before.

Over the course of 1989, Helen and Dale will compete to cover a cascade of historical events… from the Exxon Valdez oil spill, to the Tiananmen Square massacre, the boycotts of South Africa’s Apartheid, and the fall of the Berlin Wall.

PRODUCTION CREDITS

A Werner Films Production for the Australian Broadcasting Corporation. Major production investment from the Australian Broadcasting Corporation and Screen Australia in association with VicScreen. Created by Michael Lucas. Written by Michael Lucas, Christine Bartlett, Adrian Russell Wills and Niki Aken. Directed by Emma Freeman. Produced by Joanna Werner. Executive Producers Michael Lucas, Stuart Menzies and Emma Freeman. ABC Commissioning

Editor Brett Sleigh. ABC Head of Scripted Rachel Okine. Worldwide distribution is managed by Entertainment One (eOne).

10 Likes

One of the best shows on tv at present.

2 Likes