The Newsreader

Wow… that’s impressive. Hopefully season two moves to the main channel?

2 Likes

ABC is repeating the first season commencing Sunday 11 September 10:30 PM

2 Likes

Season 2 promo

8 Likes

That set definitely has the feels of 1988 Seven Nightly News behind it. Appears Geoff is going to do some backstabbing again… Can’t wait!

Yes, they seem to have left the Ten Eyewitness News (1986 look) for the Seven Nightly News (1988 look). Looks fantasist. The researchers do an amazing job on this production.

1 Like

The synopsis for the new season

The Newsreader season two travels from election night 1987, through the shocks of the Hoddle Street shootings and the Stock Market Crash, the complexity of the heroin crisis, towards the protest and pageantry of the 1988 Bicentenary. As a nation grapples with its identity, its past and future, Helen (Anna Torv) and Dale (Sam Reid) reach a crossroads, and must settle on who they want to be, to each other, and to the world.

A Werner Films Production for the ABC. Major production investment from the ABC and financed with support from VicScreen. Worldwide distribution is managed by Entertainment One (eOne). Created by Michael Lucas. Directed by Emma Freeman. Produced by Lucas and Joanna Werner. Executive Producers Werner, Stuart Menzies and Emma Freeman. ABC Executive Producers Brett Sleigh and Sally Riley.

4 Likes

Looks wonderful! Can’t wait!

1 Like

One of the biggest stories of 1987 was the huge media shakeup, and all commercial networks were impacted as were radio outlets and newspapers. I’m surprised the show, literally based in a TV station, isn’t touching on that.

5 Likes

You and I would like it, but I suppose they want to focus on stories that capture a greater interest in history.

2 Likes

I’m hoping that may play a part in the whole series two story arc than a specific episodes storyline. :crossed_fingers:

2 Likes

That banter is so stilted and cringey

Take it you weren’t around then?

But also, that was their first night on air, they’d only known each other 5 minutes.

1 Like

The first night of that new American style “happy talk” format was equally stilted in Sydney. Ann Sanders and Richard Zachariah had zero chemistry. I recall reading reports about how they’d been rehearsing that format in the week leading up to the debut. Interesting in that Melbourne YT video how they abandoned the chat in favour of a headline recap.

4 Likes

Saw on instagram the mix session for the final episode of the second season was completed late last week. I’d anticipate a mid year debut.

ABC’s hit Australian drama The Newsreader back with season two and a companion podcast

The highly-anticipated, second season of ABC’s six-part, multi-award winning drama,

The Newsreader premieres Sunday 10 September at 8:30pm on ABC TV and ABC iview. Also, in a move that embraces Australia’s love of news and podcasts, Leigh Sales and Lisa Millar will host a companion podcast available on the ABC listen app.

Reprising their lead roles as Helen Norville and Dale Jennings are the Emmy nominated Anna Torv (The Last of Us) and Sam Reid (Interview with the Vampire).

A year on from the events of series one, we meet Helen and Dale, now established as ‘The Golden Couple of News’. To the outside world, they present a glowing image of success and romance… but the truth is more complex. As 1987 rolls along, global stocks will soar and crash, Australia will prepare to celebrate its Bicentennial year, and Helen and Dale grapple with who they really want to be in life - and whether that path can be together…

Returning for this compelling new season are Robert Taylor, William McInnes, Michelle Lim Davidson, Chum Ehelepola, Stephen Peacocke, Marg Downey and Chai Hansen. And, joining this stellar ensemble is Daniel Gillies (The Originals), Rory Fleck Byrne (This Is Going To Hurt), Philippa Northeast (In Limbo) and Hunter Page-Lochard (Barons, Fires).

In exciting news, ABC journalists and self-confessed fans of The Newsreader, Leigh Sales and Lisa Millar, have teamed up to host The Newsreader Podcast, which will drop weekly each Sunday evening post broadcast. Week by week, Leigh and Lisa will unpack the news stories covered in each episode, sharing their own experiences, allowing audiences to fully delve into the world of The Newsreader.

For a preview of The Newsreader Podcast:

Production credit: A Werner Films Production for the ABC. Major production investment from the Australian Broadcasting Corporation in association with VicScreen. Worldwide distribution is managed by Entertainment One (eOne). Created by Michael Lucas. Written by Michael Lucas, Kim Ho, Adrian Russell Wills and Niki Aken. Directed by Emma Freeman. Produced by Lucas and Joanna Werner. Executive Producers Werner, Stuart Menzies and Emma Freeman. ABC Executive Producers Brett Sleigh and Sally Riley.

6 Likes

The Newsreader podcast is a great idea. Worth listening.

I still have the original recordings of season one back in 2021 in my PVR. I should start watching it this weekend.

3 Likes

So happy to read that The Newsreader (season 2) is airing in a months time. The first season was just brilliant.

6 Likes

Looks like events from 1987 and the bicentennial year - a huge year for news.

They seem to be watching the news on channel O in Melbourne - example of long-distance reception from Brisbane? :smile:

3 Likes

Back in the day when you could program analogue onto whatever channel code you wanted…

4 Likes