The Future of TV - Linear vs. Streaming and beyond

The only TV I watch “live” is the last half of The Project, then Gogglebox, Hard Quiz then HYBPA when it’s on. And maybe some random stuff on SBS Food. The rest is either iview (The Heights and Get Krak!n lately) or Netflix. Admittedly we had Stan as well but have since cancelled that

2 Likes

Yeah same here. I’m subscribed to bbc , itv player , (free) and direct tv now for paid subscriptions .

so im guessing via a vpn?

1 Like

Since Australian networks have effectively ‘forced’ audience to watch bloated ‘reality’ shows the only way to save FTA in Australia to ‘piss’ them off by scrapping all reality shows and air some variety in place of the supposed reality shows.

Might be short term pain in ratings but is probably better in preserving the numbered days of FTA.

2 Likes

Which is what Ten is doing now, but it is giving them some short term pain for (hopefully) some long term gain

1 Like

I would love to see all three commericals take the plunge and dump their realities in one hit and provide viewers with some dramas, variety, event-style shows. Realistically that will never happen but reality tv isn’t going to help the networks (contrary to what they think about reality).

3 Likes

agree and this is why i think in the future if 9 and 7 keep going they will eventually loose viewers to streaming services such as netflix stand etc

And there’s the next reality show concept…

Big TV Executive Showdown Warrior-off Island! Coming soon every night of the week to 7, 9, 10, 7two, 7mate, 7flix, 9Go, 9Gem, 9Life, 10Peach, 10Bold and streaming on…

1 Like

Interesting data on streaming subscription in Australia. I think the number of people watching FTA will continue to drop especially if Disney+ comes Down Under.

1 Like

Australia’s free-to-air television industry is dismayed that the federal government has extended some production tax offsets to online streaming giants such as Netflix.

Updated story

2 Likes

i agree with ben says but what about iptv could that be added as well???

Not exactly the situation in Australia but some parallels.

As consumers cut the cord in favor of Netflix and Hulu, and legacy media companies launch streaming platforms of their own, the main reason to stick with cable is sports. Live sports are maintaining viewer numbers, for the most part, and supporting the $70 billion TV ad industry in the process.

The question is: Who is going to pull the block?

The first real indicator will come in 2020 when rights to the National Football League’s Sunday night games come up for bidding. They could stay with legacy media like Comcast’s NBCUniversal unit, or they could go—fully or partially—to digital. That contest will give consumers a sense both of the tech industry’s appetite to invest in sports and sports leagues’ appetite to sell to big tech. Other rights, for instance to Major League Baseball and National Hockey League games, will become available in 2021 and 2022, respectively.

https://www.wsj.com/articles/why-the-clock-is-running-out-on-big-media-companies-11556290801

1 Like

I’m interested to see how the English language is evolving and coming up with terms to describe the new digital media.

When did “dropped” become an contronym (word that is its own opposite)? You read that Netflix has just dropped a program. Not that long ago being dropped was a bad thing as in ‘discontinued’ but now it is good news as the word has come to mean the show is now available for download.

When I heard that “Taylor Swift dropped her new single” I hoped she didn’t break it :wink:

3 Likes

It does sound like she damaged it though, so you’re close to the mark. :stuck_out_tongue_winking_eye:

1 Like

‘Channel 10 has dropped Pointless’ is one such example: has the network just launched a new 6pm quiz show, or has it banished a poorly rating program?

It’s a good example of a clause whereby you need additional context (in this scenario, time) to interpret the meaning correctly

Isn’t it a music industry term? I guess Netflix has adopted it.