The Future of TV - Linear vs. Streaming and beyond

Growing up in the 90s / 2000s I think it’s safe to say most kids grew up with at least 50% of produced local Australians content.

1 Like

In the mid to late 70’s there were lots of cartoons and other shows, many/most from the US, some from the UK and a few from elsewhere (e.g. Japanese cartoons), however, there were Australian shows like Mr. Squiggle, Adventure Island, Romper Room, Play School, Here’s Humphrey, Fat Cat and Friends, and others. There were other kid friendly programs like It’s Academic and Young Talent Time. At the very end of the 70’s there was Shirl’s Neighbourhood and Simon Townsend’s Wonder World.

Apart from the programs on the ABC, these Australian programs were often local and didn’t go to all of Australia. For example, Cartoon Corner and Hey Hey it’s Saturday were in Melbourne and Sydney, not sure about anywhere else. Adelaide had a different locally made program called Hey Hey it’s Saturday.

And fun fact, some of the cartoons were actually made in Australia!!! For example, Around The World in 80 Days, The Funky Phantom, and a whole bunch of 1-hour (with ads) cartoon programs that were on the TV from time to time. I remember seeing some of them and they were pretty good and saw Around the World in 80 days overseas.

Many of the cartoons were part of Australian shows with hosts, segments, characters etc. For example, at least in Melbourne and Sydney, Daryl Somers and Ozzie Ostrich hosted Cartoon Corner on weekdays and Hey Hey its Saturday on Saturday mornings.

1 Like

A lot of the live action children’s series were sold overseas in the 80s and 90s. I remember when I travelled overseas and visited my much younger cousins in Greece in 1989, they were big fans of Professor Poopsnagle’s Steam Zeppelin. I hadn’t really seen it in Australia but when I returned I noticed Channel 9 were showing repeats. My uncle used to watch it with his kids and told me they were fans of some others Aussie kid’s shows as well.

1 Like

I’m not sure what time period you are referring, but yeah 2000s ABC Kids was filled with Australian, British and Canadian shows, with several live action shows being a coproductions between ABC, BBC and CBC.

1 Like

This was late 90’s early 2000s. From memory, it wasn’t really filled with Australian content it was more overseas than some Australian. I’m mainly referring to ABC though. the other FTA channels would have more Aus content.

1 Like
2 Likes

An interesting story about TV writers receiving royalties for Australian series screening overseas.

2 Likes

Subscription Media Australia (ASTRA) published a full page ad in News Corp papers today, raising public awareness on proposed federal legislation on what apps will appear on smart TVs and what content will appear in search.

It points the readers to this web page:
https://www.astra.org.au/advocacy/prominence

It was in response to calls by Free TV Australia to ensure catch up apps by local networks get free and prominent access to smart TV sets.

UPDATE 7/11

I dont get it, I want my apps in the order I want them in, why should my tv be any different… if this goes through ill just end up putting a computer plugged into the TV and watch like that, hands off my television!

The global streamers like Netflix Disney and prime have global negotiating power to get prominent positions on tv home screens. The local networks don’t get that. So this legislation is an attempt to equalise so Netflix prime and Disney don’t get the best position s on tvs Sold in Australia

3 Likes

I believe they absolutely should regulate for these to be front and centre for people buying TV’s in Aus, we need a thriving television industry here and shouldn’t lose out to global streamers with more money / presence.

This would certainly ensure the casual viewers are better prompted towards local content and know that it is still available to them through the local BVOD services rather than traditional FTA.

In saying that though, people should still have the choice and if they want to remove or edit it for their favourite or most used apps to appear first then that’s fine IMO. There should still be the choice either way.

3 Likes

IMHO This should be a two way street. If smart TVs have to include certain streaming channels then the streaming providers in return shouldn’t be able to for example gouge them, e.g. by requiring the smart TV manufacturers to pay them to add the channels they are required to add by law. They would in turn have to get some guarantees, e.g. that the smart TV manufacturers won’t add their own advertising without the channels’ permission, etc. etc.

1 Like

The thing that really annoys me is the fact is that some new TVs come with streaming apps pre-installed then block you from deleting the apps.

1 Like

I’d prefer it if my television came without any of these apps preinstalled

3 Likes

I bought a new TV recently and I appreciated having them loaded, otherwise I wouldn’t know some of them existed. I wasn’t happy with the order they appeared in, so it was not much hassle to edit and rearrange them.

3 Likes

I don’t mind if they come with pre-installed apps but don’t then block me from deleting them. I’m not sure what TV you got but Samsung always seems to do this.

1 Like

But why would you want to delete them? Surely, more options is better than less options. As long as you can choose the order of what you want at the top, why wouldn’t you just leave the rest down the bottom of the list?

1 Like

My main issue is with the apps they give you unless you use them they take up a lot of space. Once you install more apps on top of these apps the performance of the tv will slow. This was my main issue.

2 Likes

1 Like
2 Likes