The Future of TV - Linear vs. Streaming and beyond

They already do. They’re called monitors. :wink:

2 Likes

Yes but monitors are traditionally smaller than tvs and not really suitable for a living room setup.

I know that’s changing now (ie: https://www.windowscentral.com/acer-announces-three-predator-gaming-monitors-ces-2020 ), which doesn’t bode well for FTA.

Sony, LG, and Samsung etc will eventually stop having tuners in their new tvs. Then what for FTA?

Then they won’t be TV’s… no TV tuner = not a TV

TV production, like all that’s come before it, will stop when the market dries up. Currently, despite the predictions often given in this thread, the market remains.
You’ve got to remember not everyone streams.

4 Likes

Really good read.

4 Likes

and if they dont then streaming will take over. and tv as we know it will never be the same again.

“TV needs to go ultra local in order to survive”

Can’t say I disagree, but tell that to Seven who’ve recently been cutting back on local programming big time!

1 Like

and i think its time reality tv got the chop as well

2 Likes

I feel like the networks are cutting their noses to spite their faces. If you have a look at streaming services including the networks’ own services, its the dramas and comedies which have are a long life and viewers want to watch. You stop producing them and you have no future content.

3 Likes

What’s worse is once the streamers are forced to start funding local dramas, etc. with quotas, the local networks will become more irrelevant and lose more viewers except for live sport and news. Everything else will get a small handful of viewers. Viewers won’t touch FTA.

Forcing streaming services to make local content is a really stupid move that will discourage services launching into Australia

1 Like

Netflix has been investing in local content in South Korea and Japan for the past couple of years. Shouldn’t it do the same for Australia?

1 Like

and i think they would finally be a good thing :slight_smile: it would then shake up fta

More like destroy it, it would just about be the new radio.

Netflix already invest in Australian content - it’s also distributed Australian content to other markets.

1 Like

Agree - that’s why I think the proposal laid out by the streaming services is a sensible one:

The approach the four companies (Disney+, Netflix, Prime Video & Stan) would like would be to provide government with detailed local investment plans over multiple years and allow for feedback to individual services if expectations for delivering Australia content are not being met.

2 Likes

24 posts were split to a new topic: Draft News Media Bargaining Code

Looking for the News Media Bargaining Code discussion? Step —> This Way

1 Like