The Future of TV - Linear vs. Streaming and beyond

One reason you might want an TV antenna is
picture quality. 720p25 on iView vs 1080i50 on ABC HD linear.
But I don’t know if ABC News Canberra is produced in HD.

More and more new home builds with TV antennas nowhere to be seen.

2 Likes
1 Like

I’d suggest you leave conduit (hollow plastic piping) in the wall in case you need it, and if you don’t, it hey, you’ve spent about $10 on a bit of pipe.

If you do, measure how far it is from the corner of the wall and how high it is off the floor (It helps to cut a hole in the right place if you do need it - remember to take in account of the width of the wallboard and flooring).

3 Likes

The way live tv streaming is now it’s definitely a lot easier to have it.

A post was merged into an existing topic: Digital TV Technical Discussion

A post was merged into an existing topic: Audience Reach, Ownership Control and Local Content

1 Like

i found this on the bottom of the tvblackbox podcast page

In three years, which major streaming services will definitely exist?

Ex-CNN boss Zucker: Netflix, Amazon Prime Video, Apple and the Disney suite [Hulu, ESPN+ and Disney+]. The fifth could be a combo of the remainders: HBO Max, Paramount+ and Peacock.

Jeff Bewkes, former Time Warner CEO: Netflix, Amazon, Disney, HBO Max. Maybe one more that doesn’t make much money or is about break even and hovers near death.

North Road’s Chernin: All of them with the caveat that there may be some combination of Paramount, Peacock and HBO Max. The big guys don’t want to buy any of them with exception with HBO.

IAC’s Diller: There’s only one streaming service that’s dominant, now and forever, and that’s Netflix. But many others will exist. Jeffrey Hirsch, Starz President and CEO: Disney, Netfilix, Warner Bros. Discovery, Amazon … and of course, Starz.

Candle Media’s Mayer: Apple TV+, Disney+, Netflix, Amazon Prime, Max, probably. Paramount+ will be folded in, Peacock will folded in. Maybe they’ll be combined with a smaller service like Starz.

The Ringer’s Simmons: You have Hulu, Peacock and Paramount out there as candidates to get swallowed up by a bigger streamer, but who’s doing it? Apple never does anything. Amazon doesn’t need to do anything. HBO/Discovery just went through two mergers in six years. Netflix never does anything. Disney/ESPN seems more likely to shed stuff than buy stuff. So unless Comcast goes on a crazy spending spree, I don’t see anything changing — I think everyone will still be around, just with less employees and way less original content.

Netflix’s Bajaria: Netflix, of course. Disney+ has such a strong library. Many of the others will be interesting. You’re already seeing Showtime and Paramount+ come together. Does Hulu stay in Disney, or does Comcast buy their share out? Does Warner Bros. Discovery stay with Discovery+ and HBO Max, or does it merge with another company? There will be a lot of movement and changes in the streaming landscape.

3 Likes

This is the interesting one.
I think WBD could be viable on their own. But Paramount & Peacock won’t survive on their own. If SkyShowtime in Europe works out maybe years down the track these two will merge services.

Considering the mess WB and Discovery have made of merging with each other not sure adding any further companies to their portfolio would be beneficial for the industry. Indeed I suspect they’ll demerge not too far down the track - clearly a marriage everyone could see would end in divorce on day one.

I do think many of the big US studios who have traditionally made their money in selling content on are now seeing that selling content direct to consumers isn’t just cutting out the middle man. The change in model has already destroyed the traditional model Paramount and WB had with the CW and they’re just not making the money back selling direct that they did selling on content to streamers and international broadcasters.

Ultimately the consumer may be far more willing to pay for content now than even a decade ago, but they’re not willing to pay for multiple subscriptions - and certainly not at full price. What they need to do is convince people to buy them instead of Netflix, not alongside Netflix, and Disney+ is probably the only one that comes close to doing that - whilst without it being thrown in with the Prime Delivery service I’m not sure how much Amazon stands up on it’s own too.

Check out some of tonight’s viewing post 8.30pm on FTA on the first Thursday of the ratings period

Nine, the current number one network has a repeat of Paramedics at 8.30 followed by a repeat of Australia Behind Bars.

The second ranked network Seven has yet another Hey Hey repeat in The Very Best Of The Best And Worst at 8.30 followed by a repeat of Mrs. Brown’s Boys.

Third ranked, ABC has Grand Designs: House of the Year at 8.30 that has already be shown on Foxtel followed by a repeat Joanna Lumley’s Great Cities of the World.

10 has a new program at 8.30 The Montreal Comedy Festival; that’s followed by an “encore” presentation of Would I Lie To You? Australia.

SBS has something about Secret Pyramid soccer playing Nazis an History channel doco on American Presidency With Bill Clinton.

Is it any wonder the FTA viewing is down.

6 Likes

It’s a vicious cycle of Networks doing F all → Ratings down → Networks continuing to do F All → Ratings plunge further and rinse and repeat again.

Though I’d be interested to hear if, for example, all networks showed first-run programming for Thursday nights instead of the half arsed effort would viewers actually tune in? Or have those viewers decided to switch off anyway?

I have Optus Sport, Stan Sport and Foxtel to watch my sports fix. FTA is only for AFL and NRL Grand Finals

It’s clear that live sport is something that will continue to rate on FTA. As a result, Nine and Seven have developed a mentality that they can put average programming on Wednesdays and Thursdays in particular because NRL, AFL, Tennis etc. will make up for it over the course of the year.

Although in doing so they’ve essentially gone from scheduling five night a week to three nights a week, and arguably just one programme a night too.

Overall free-to-air TV audience increases for first time in five years

The ACMA has released its annual How we watch and listen to content interactive report for 2022, which tracks broadcast and online content consumption trends in Australia.

The data shows that free-to-air (FTA) TV, including catch-up TV viewing in Australia, increased for the first time since data was collected in 2017.

The number of adults who reported watching any FTA TV in a given week increased from 64 per cent in 2021 to 70 per cent in June 2022. This includes 56 per cent who watched FTA TV, excluding catch-up TV, and 38 per cent for FTA catch-up TV and streaming services.

Paid subscription streaming services continued to dominate viewing preferences, despite long-term growth plateauing in 2022. In 2022, 59 per cent of adults streamed video content through a paid subscription streaming service in a given week, compared to 58 per cent in 2021. This is up from just 29 per cent in 2017.

For the first time we have started tracking viewing of user generated and short form online videos such as Tik Tok and Instagram Reels. This format is viewed almost predominantly by 18 to 24-year-olds who spent on average 7.1 hours watching content in this format in a given week in 2022, more than any other format, including paid subscription streaming services such as Netflix.

When it comes to listening habits, broadcast radio remained the most popular form of audio content with 75 per cent of Australians tuning in during a given week in 2022. Meanwhile, music streaming services continued to rise; up to 70 per cent in 2022 from 67 per cent in 2021.

The publication also tracks how Australians access news content. In 2022, the majority of Australians (81 per cent) accessed news from online sources in a given week, more so than FTA, catch-up and pay TV (67 per cent), radio and podcast (44 per cent) or newspapers (23 per cent).

Despite the demand for online news, FTA TV was still a leading source of news and was cited as the main source of news by the highest proportion of those surveyed (28 per cent).

The report is part of the ACMA’s Communications and media in Australia series which tracks patterns of consumer communications and media use over time.

Couple of interesting graphs

9Now and 7Plus always very close while 10Play seems to have improved a lot.

2 Likes

TV’s inflection point is coming. Any time now (or maybe it happened in the last few weeks), the proportion of the Australian population who watch television the traditional way will fall below half for the first time.

edit : this is from the Federal govt

1 Like