The Claremont Murders

Following Farmer Wants A Wife

1 Like

Why is this series starting in the Non Ratings period!!!

Start time is 9:05pm running until 10:55 pm. Seems late for premium Australian drama. Catch up viewing will be high though.

Easter Monday is an exception, as people return home from holidays so there will more of them watching TV at night.

They keep treating scripted drama badly and then wonder why it won’t rate.

1 Like

The Claremont Murders

The unmissable drama event reveals how the Claremont Killer was caught

When three young women went missing in Claremont in the late nineties it set off the biggest unsolved murder case in West Australian history.

It took 25 years to solve the crime. This is the story of how the Claremont Killer was caught.

Premiering 8.30pm Easter Monday on Channel 7 and 7plus, The Claremont Murders follows the police investigation and twists and turns that brought a serial killer to justice, focusing on the police who never let the case go and the journalist who followed the case from the day the first woman went missing, all the way through to the end of the trial.

The two-part drama event stars Ryan Johnson (How To Please A Woman, Doctor Doctor), Catherine Văn-Davies (The Twelve, Barons), Aaron Glenane (Shantaram, Snowpiercer), Laura Gordon (Undertow, Late Night With The Devil), Andrea Demetriades (Pulse, Janet King), Craig Hall (Boy directed by Taika Waititi, and Peter Jackson’s King Kong), Jeremy Lindsay Taylor (Underbelly Razor, Puberty Blues), Tasma Walton (Mystery Road, How To Please A Woman), Joel Jackson ( Peter Allen: Not the Boy Next Door, Ms Fisher’s Modern Murder Mysteries ), Tom O’Sullivan (Molly, Alien: Covenant), Erik Thomson (How To Please A Woman, Aftertaste), and actor, radio host and author Kate Ritchie (Underbelly: A Tale of Two Cities, Home and Away ).

From the creative team behind Catching Milat, The Claremont Murders was written by Justin Monjo (Bali 2002, Catching Milat ) and Michaeley O’Brien (Mystery Road, Underbelly), directed by Peter Andrikidis (Bali 2002, Catching Milat ), produced by Kerrie Mainwaring (Bali 2002, Catching Milat ), Peter Andrikidis and Jamie Hilton (Breath, Swinging Safari).

The Claremont Murders is a Screentime Production in association with See Pictures for the Seven Network, with Banijay Rights handling international sales.

2 Likes

I was impressed with the mock news graphics in this show. While they might not satisfy the purist, they look authentic. Becasue the timeline extends over a period of 25 years, someone has recognised that there would be different logos as the story progressed probably checking original footage. Also acknowledged the 4:3 aspect ratio in early coverage. Towards the end there is a modern 7 News look used (though the actor doesn’t look to have aged :smile: . No other channel logos were noted. The look adds to the authenticity of the drama.

10 Likes

That’s Catherine Văn-Davies who played the reporter.

2 Likes

‘Alison Fan - Seven Nightly News’.

That was a blast from the past.

2 Likes

I thought they did a good job with this. Maybe the police officers were a bit stereotypical but it told the story well and it didn’t feel like it dragged on. It was a good cliffhanger too.

2 Likes

Van Davies played Alison Fan well

1 Like

How the Claremont killer was caught

Don’t miss the gripping conclusion to The Claremont Murders this Monday on Seven and 7plus

Sarah. Jane. Ciara. Three young women who went out one night and never came home, setting off the biggest unsolved murder case in West Australian history.

The gripping story of how the Claremont killer was caught is revealed in part two of The Claremont Murders, 9.00pm this Monday on Channel 7 and 7plus.

Almost a decade after Taskforce Macro was disbanded, a new generation of detectives has quietly re-opened the case with renewed focus: no more “convenient suspect”, just follow the evidence. This time they are going to get their man.

Thanks to advances in technology, the police find the killer’s DNA on a never-before-tested scrap of fingernail. They discover the Claremont serial killer has struck before, but this time his victims lived to tell the tale. Now they just have to find him.

When the police finally arrest Bradley Robert Edwards (Ryan Johnson, How To Please A Woman, Doctor Doctor), no one can believe it. The man responsible for these horrific crimes is a loving husband and stepfather, a knockabout suburban tradie. Now he is on trial for three murders, in the longest and most expensive trial in WA history.

The Claremont Murders also stars Catherine Văn-Davies (The Twelve, Barons), Aaron Glenane (Shantaram, Snowpiercer), Laura Gordon (Undertow, Late Night With The Devil), Andrea Demetriades (Pulse, Janet King), Craig Hall (Boy directed by Taika Waititi, and Peter Jackson’s King Kong), Jeremy Lindsay Taylor (Underbelly Razor, Puberty Blues), Tasma Walton (Mystery Road, How To Please A Woman), Joel Jackson ( Peter Allen: Not the Boy Next Door, Ms Fisher’s Modern Murder Mysteries ), Tom O’Sullivan (Molly, Alien: Covenant), Erik Thomson (How To Please A Woman, Aftertaste), and actor, radio host and author Kate Ritchie (Underbelly: A Tale of Two Cities, Home and Away ).

From the creative team behind Catching Milat, The Claremont Murders was written by Justin Monjo (Bali 2002, Catching Milat ) and Michaeley O’Brien (Mystery Road, Underbelly), directed by Peter Andrikidis (Bali 2002, Catching Milat ), produced by Kerrie Mainwaring (Bali 2002, Catching Milat ), Peter Andrikidis and Jamie Hilton (Breath, Swinging Safari).

The Claremont Murders is a Screentime Production in association with See Pictures for the Seven Network, with Banijay Rights handling international sales.

QR codes and Indigenous location names featuring in tonight’s episode :thinking:

It’s also weird they haven’t aged any of the main characters at all.

I’ve really enjoyed the two episodes.
Well done, 7.

2 Likes

Yeah it’s been very well done. Clearly the production company did the research, work and had a decent budget.

3 Likes

Growing up through it all has made for an interesting watch. I agree it’s been well done. Just a couple of points of note as above.

2 Likes

I thought Ryan Johnson did a good job of playing Bradley Edwards. He does look a bit like Gerard Baden-Clay as well.

Also I saw a Roll’d logo in the background during one scene from about 2008. Roll’d didn’t start until 2012.

1 Like

I guess it depends on how far you take it. Do you not use a specific model of ride on lawn mower because it wasn’t around in 2008. Etc

I think considering they did pretty damn well.

Only major thing I noticed was at the start of episode 2 Alison Fan said “seven nightly news” in 2008.
Unless this was done to separate it from the real life 7news current brand? Wouldn’t surprise me tbh.

I saw this too! And the Fremantle street signs.

This was a problem in Underbelly too when they shot scenes outdoors and things crept into showlt which wouldn’t have existed decades earlier.

When it’s part if the story or front and focus, then I would say yes. You shouldn’t use a model of lawn mower if it hadn’t been released yet at that time being portrayed.

The thing I noticed were the cordless phones we saw used in the first episode when it was set in the 90s. There’s no way anyone had those slim line phones back then. They were big and chunky with aerials.