The Chase Australia

The Chase Australia. 5pm Weekdays on Seven.
Archived Topic

Check out the schedule just posted for Week commencing 10 January

The Chase has been given two prime time slots in that week - Sunday and Tuesday at 7pm - as far as I can tell these are labelled as two episodes from Season 2.

Testing the waters…? Interesting. I wonder how well it will rate in the 7pm slot. If it proves itself, we could potentially see more of it in primetime this year.

I was browsing on Plus7 last night and noticed that we’re already into Season 2 (it started early December). From memory there were 63 episodes in Season 1.

The Sunday night episode is labelled episode 5 of Season 2 and the Tuesday night is number 6.

Just checked and the last episode of Season 2 to air was episode 4 on 15/12, so that’d be right. They’ve been playing random episodes from Season 1 since then.

Introducing the beast in prime time, perhaps?

Good to see it go into primetime. Certainly testing waters. Its summer ratings season, so there’s no harm in trying at this time of year.

If successful enough, I can see the show having some sort of regular primetime appearance throughout the year. Possible a celebrity version in primetime down the track? If it fails, it can just continue its 5pm slot and let it thrive there.

3 Likes

If it rates well enough at 7pm we might even see H&A move over to 7TWO permanently, with the Chase taking its place on the main channel. No better time to test it out I suppose…

Interesting to see how it goes against 60 Minutes on the Sunday. The Tuesday episode will be up against one day cricket on Nine.

I doubt they’d be silly enough to schedule a one hour game show at 7pm on weeknights during the regular ratings season. Nine and Ten would love to get the jump on Seven and start their reality shows half an hour earlier.

Surely The Chase is more valuable to them as a lead in to the news? They’ve worked hard to develop something to boost the news and they’re finally seeing results. I just hope they’re not prematurely fatiguing the format by scheduling it in prime time and leaving the Brit version in the 3pm slot.

Wouldn’t mind seeing a series of celebrity specials in a prime time slot. The British ones are often hilarious.

Unless they reduce their news to half an hour and run The Chase from 6.30pm. :wink:

Actually, I think whenever Channel 7 decides to give Home & Away the boot from the main channel, they will screen their reality shows from 7pm.

I would think they’re just giving the show a bit of extra exposure. The 7pm episodes would be nothing more than promotion for the 5pm show.

I actually think it would be a great idea for 7 to start The Chase at 6.30pm. It may even work in a half hour format if need be. Either way I reckon it will be a success at 7pm.

They are airing new episodes though at 7pm and continuing with the repeats (presumably) at 5pm? They would be stupid not to be testing the waters.

They have now moved the Tuesday 7pm broadcast to Wednesday - perhaps they forgot about the ODI on the Tuesday.

Promo for Sunday and Wednesday has just been tweeted.

As others have said these 7pm episodes are just to attract new eyeballs to the program, clever idea from Seven.
I would love to see Seven try a couple of celebrity editions of the program in 2016.

1 Like

Loving The Chase in prime time! Could definitely get used to this. Especially 7pm on Sunday nights! Should stay in this slot!

1 Like

I agree, although in any case I’m sure that Seven would be using these two random 7pm airings to see if there’s an audience for The Chase: Australia at 7pm weeknights given that the timeslot has been a bit of a problem for Seven lately - I think Home & Away at 7pm was often something like third in the ratings (behind ACA and ABC News) on the East Coast throughout much of 2015?

Anyway, you do have to remember that we’re currently in non-ratings so this is probably about the best time for Seven to trial a new program before heading into the Australian Open and Home & Away returning for 2016. That’s my theory anyway…

2 Likes

[quote=“NewsKing, post:18, topic:356, full:true”]
Loving The Chase in prime time! Could definitely get used to this. Especially 7pm on Sunday nights! Should stay in this slot
[/quote] Me too. The set definitely works for prime time and I think the show could too. What time does it air in the UK? While it won’t help Seven News, if it is at 7, it will help the prime time shows such as X Factor, MKR etc. and most likely Sunrise too.[quote=“SydneyCityTV, post:19, topic:356”]
I’m sure that Seven would be using these two random 7pm airings to see if there’s an audience for The Chase: Australia at 7pm weeknights given that the timeslot has been a bit of a problem for Seven lately
[/quote] Certainly. Sunday night is one of the highest ratings night while Wednesday is where the ratings drop off for Seven. Very strategic.