Ten's Early Evening Woes

BBC has news at 5am

The UK has morning breakfast shows followed by my breakfast shows.

Yes the UK has news at 6.

The One Show on BBC.

And if we are talking about 10 in specific The Project was loosely based on a UK show. 10 have always tended to look at the UK for ideas as they believe that is the types of programs their demographics like.

I think you are really off the mark here. But I know what you are like… So its pointless having this discussion with you.

Geez. I thought it was appropriate discussing Ten running news at 6pm in the Pointless thread :wink:

Jesus can you not read?

I say commercial you say BBC.
I say “local news hours” you talk about a half-hour local program.
I say tabloid magazine you talk about The One Show on BBC…
Also I said extended morning show - as in Today.

Who cares if its commercial or not? You are comparing two completely different markets anyway. I have never seen Australia having the same type of interests as America and that includes the fascination in news.

Exactly my f#%^ing point. The British market is skewed towards public broadcasting - which makes it different.

1 Like

How the hell can you not see the similar fascination in local commercial news in America and Australia when it is staring you in the face?

I’m not saying Australia doesn’t like local news. I am saying there isn’t a big enough market to justify 3 news services. The fact is News has had huge drops in the last 5-10 years. People can get their news anytime anywhere. Why would you just compete against 2 news broadcasts when you could go for another audience. Its just plain stupid and hasn’t worked before and won’t work this time either. I think its a dumb move.

Let me be as clear as I can. In the U.K., there is no free news at 3, no local news hour at 4, no local news hour at 5, no local news hour at 6, no tabloid “magazine” program like “A Current Affair” at 7. Those pretty major programming strategies directly
mirror US television strategy - not perfectly nor everywhere - but you sure as hell find loads of stations doing those things… and ZERO stations in the U.K. doing that.

1 Like

You sound like a broken record. Lets talk about 10 for a second. Look at where they have gotten the inspiration.

Firstly a lot of their initial reality programs; Big Brother, Masterchef…
Secondly, The Project loosely based off a UK show.
Thirdly, shorter sharpier dramas and comedies.
Fourthly, comedy light entertainment programs.
Fifthly, shows like Gogglebox.

10 obviously look at the UK for inspiration. This is their demographic. They are edgy. I don’t think they look to the US for that inspiration. Nor do I think they should. They are looking for a younger demographic. News won’t serve them this. It has been tried it failed. They shouldn’t try it again.

Anyway I am not arguing this with you anymore and would rather agree to disagree as I am just hearing the same bullshit in each post.

Says the guy who argues my point about commercial stations with a BBC example, and my point about HOUR LOCAL NEWS at 6 with 30-minute examples (well, one at 6 on ITV and one at 6:30 on BBC ffs). But I am the bullshitter!

and we will say again and again…it’s been done before and hasn’t worked.

1 Like

Apparently there are still almost 100 episodes of Pointless in the can. So it could continue for a few months potentially. However I think these should be burned off in daytime or late night.

Local news at 6 will work with the right lead in.

I believe 10 should look into commissioning Antiques Walkabout which was an Australian spin off of the UK Antiques Roadshow. Pick up the rights to the original. Run it over Summer.

So this would be the schedule.

5:00 Ten News First - Local [national in summer]
5:30 Antiques Walkabout [Antiques Roadshow in summer and on weekends]
6:00 Ten News First - Local [even in summer]
6:30 The Project. 7 nights a week. Monday to Thursday team / Saturday - Sunday team.

Antiques Walkabout. Seriously? This is 10, not the ABC

7 Likes

Sorry but I can’t see that working on 10. Trial By Kyle stripped at 6pm weeknights is more likely to build an audience.

Here’s a crazy idea: Just run CBS Evening News at 6pm

1 Like

Something like Antiques Roadshow/Walkabout would have to be one of the worst programs you could ever make as a suggestion for the 6pm timeslot on Channel Ten.

I suspect Ten would most likely want to attract a similar type of audience/advertiser to those interested in the 5pm news and The Project. Antiques Roadshow and other programs in that genre would only really appeal to the 65+ age group and the temporary arthritis/pain relief solutions, retirement villages & funeral providers who predominately advertise on commercial AM radio!

1 Like

That is literally crazy.

3 Likes

10 News does well in demos - another reason why they should add 6pm news.

Just bring back Family Feud and be done with it. It was a fan favourite on social media with Grant winning the Gold Logie last year

2 Likes