Ten's Early Evening Woes

What other channels? 7 and 9? Out of 7, 7mate, 7TWO, 7flix, 9GO, 9GEM and ALL the others. 2 other channels is not much. Cities in America have 6pm news on 6 channels at the same time!

Cities in America tend to be a lot larger. You really can’t compare the American TV market to the Australian one.

1 Like

And why do the same as 7 and 9. It didn’t work before it won’t work this time either. 10 need to be different and bold. In my opinion if 10 want news on one of their channels at 6pm it shouldn’t be on 10 and instead by on 10bold. Even if that means 10bold outrates 10’s main channel.

Melbourne and Sydney would be the number 11 and 12 media markets in the US. The current number 11 - Tampa-St. Petersburg has ABC, NBC, CBS, Fox, Unimas (Spanish) and SNN (Independent) providing a 6pm news.

1 Like

and once again, you can’t compare those markets to Australian ones. There’s a completely different in terms of dynamics, formats, mentality, demographic, advertising structure etc. It’s a different situation for every city. London, UK has over 8 million people, but only has two successful dedicated local news programs on BBC and ITV, while ‘London Live News’ constantly struggles.

2 Likes

I think the easiest thing for Ten to do to replace Pointless is to just extend the 5:00pm news to 6:30pm. No separate news program, no national news.

3 Likes

But have clear slots for stuff. (Ie, dont push out your sport and weather to 6.20)

4 Likes

Fully disagree. A full 90min lump of news is exactly what I believe helped kill Ten’s “News Revolution” in 2011.

I’m not going to reiterate what my thoughts and proposals are, but there are other threads to discuss post-Pointless schedules.

3 Likes

Absolutely. I have been saying that for about 20 years here.

“Movie-length news” was always an extremely bad idea.

10 News First at 5
10 News First at 6
The Project 7PM.

Simple.

1 Like

I’m sure I’ve said it dozens of times before, and I’ll keep saying it - the news landscape has totally changed since Ten last tried 6pm news.

Half an hour at 6 was the most popular news service for decades, and now it isn’t available at all in Sydney, Brisbane and Melbourne.

Times have changed it is worth trying again - at the absolute least as a filler between a longer term replacement for it.

3 Likes

I really think it hasn’t. No one wants to watch the same headlines at 5 and 6.

7 Likes

It’d be for people turning on their TV for news at 6 - do you want the day’s news in half an hour, or one hour?

Ten’s point of difference used to be ‘more time for more news’ - now the other networks have them covered in quantity - now they have a chance to be the fast paced, news you need without dragging on.

Is anyone else getting comments in this thread out of time sequence? There is a post from 2 hours ago 3rd to last then a post above 23 minutes ago.

I seem to recall a period where the 90 minute bulletin had weather at 6:20pm. But early on, they had a standalone 6pm bulletin (with no 5pm bulletin) on weekends meaning no weather at 5:55pm. Still failed.

Interesting the 6pm options in London

2 Likes

London is not the go-to comparison, dude. The TV market there is skewed towards public broadcasting. Australia much more closely resembles the US with multiple local network stations in the same market.

And the US is? I don’t remember the last time a crime procedural worked here in Australia. Or an Australian sitcom… I think the UK is actually the most accurate comparison. Australian’s seem to have a similar taste with preferred shorter series etc.

1 Like

The same discussion was being had across three different topics. Anything related to what Ten could be doing at 6pm has been moved here from the Pointless and Ten News Content topics to spare those of us with long memories the trauma of having to wade through a discussion that has been had here numerous times over the past few years.

1 Like

Does that affect the chronological sequence?

Are u serious?

5am news on commercial free-to-air
Extended morning shows
News at 3 for free
Local news at 4
Local news at 5
Local news hours at 6
Tabloid magazine at 7

Where exactly in the U.K. do they have those?

1 Like

BBC has news at 5am

The UK has morning breakfast shows followed by my breakfast shows.

Yes the UK has news at 6.

The One Show on BBC.

And if we are talking about 10 in specific The Project was loosely based on a UK show. 10 have always tended to look at the UK for ideas as they believe that is the types of programs their demographics like.

I think you are really off the mark here. But I know what you are like… So its pointless having this discussion with you.