Ten's Early Evening Woes

You’ll never change people from watching news at 6pm to a reality format - won’t work!

Exactly, I don’t think reality is the answer here and I think even If it did work it just cannibalises the audience of that reality program when it would likely perform far better at 730.
Reality is also not going to be a constant.
I think an immediate improvement would be to extend 10 News First into the 6pm slot its increasing its audience at 5pm and its a brand that can grow.

How low have the ratings for Pointless at 6pm gotten exactly?

If the audience just aren’t interested could they go back to stripping a US comedy at 6pm? A family centred sitcom like Fresh off the Boat could work

Didn’t it get shifted to odd time slots on Eleven because it was struggling?

Seinfeld, Two and a Half Men, and even The Big Bang Theory all struggled initially on Australian TV. I’m not saying it will work, but it’s possible.

At what point do 10 concede defeat on Pointless (or even reformat it to a weekly 1 hour show), and try something different at 6pm?

We already had a thread for this (mods, please merge?).

If that’s Ten’s solution to the 6pm timeslot, they may as well give up their broadcast licences now.

2 Likes

Discuss here for 10’s 6PM timeslot given the axing of Pointless

Family Feud with Grant Denyer could be back by popular demand. Fans were disappointed after its axing last year.

3 Likes

I just assumed that it would be Celebrity Name Game. It was only a quick 30min show in the US so seems perfect for this timeslot.

I believe they only made 12 episodes of CNG.

Wheel of Fortune with John Burgess could be a popular show

1 Like

In what decade?

1 Like

He is still active in Perth lately and will be a popular choice

2 Likes

Something new please. Rehashes hardly work.

3 Likes

Options include Neighbours, Australia’s Antiques Roadshow, Tenable, Don’t Lose The Money, Set for Life… the opportunities are endless.

1 Like

Jeopardy Australia. The format has never never been adopted here despite it being a popular game show in the States.

1 Like

No, Tony Barber hosted the local version for Ten in the 1990s in the 6pm timeslot. It is worth another try however.

Nine had Tim Campbell 11 years ago and it backfired spectacularly only lasting a month before being axed and replaced by Antiques reruns until the launch of Hot Seat.

The question is whether news will rate more thank 170k that pointless rates. Probably yes. Therefore what is the cheapest option? If they can get 200-300k for 6pm news content for not much extra money than producing a new show then they might as well just do that.

1 Like

They could extend The Project so it runs 6-7.30

Move neighbours back. Might as well.
Earlier slot on ten rerun on 11.
I just don’t see any games how doing anything massive in figures at 6pm.