Ten's Early Evening Woes

All your argummets completely fall flat as soon as you propose Simpsons and neighbours returning to the main channel. Delusional and completely irrelevant for a network in this day and age.

The only thing I agree with you is ceasing the family feud simulcast.

5 Likes

Because you should never give up. There is a format out there that will resonate with viewers if promoted correctly. You have very limited knowledge of tv history in this country. Ten were pioneers back in the day with GMA and other such programming. I’m not proposing a clone of today or sunrise.

Fox sports news and Sky news can fuck off. People want original content produced by the network. Not out sourced news Corp crap.

Funnily enough I never see you responding to the questions regarding you overt obsession with defending every decision ten makes.

This thread doesn’t make any sense to me. Last year in the three time slots 6.00- 6.30, 6.30 -7.00 and 7.00 to 7.30 Ten not only increased its commercial share of the audience but had more viewers watching in each time period both in total people and younger demographics.

With TV viewing dropping, that is a pretty good achievement. Additionally, that result was at the expense of its commercial rivals with Seven and Nine both seeing audience share and viewers numbers drop for every time slot - double digit percentage drops in some cases.

5 Likes

Good concept but I honestly think that they need to just keep early primetime the same, maybe something like this could work:

• 6:00- Family Fued/Other well-performing game or comedy program (maybe mix them up during different seasons or nights to offer something fresh but remain a stable performer)

• 6:30- The Project with an increased news presence and better cross-promotion and integration with Ten News (more live crosses to reporters etc.)

• 7:30- Reality offering OR a high rating local or imported series, especially M-rated ‘event’ dramas (e.g X-Files) and proven comedies.

• 8:30- Local news (Considering it airs only 3.5 hours after the flagship bulletin, you would think they could stretch staff to produce both, especially since there is no daytime news offering)

• 9:30- Normal drama offerings or other programming (such as local series)

• 10:30- Late Show

• 11:30- Late Late Show OR CBS factuals (e.g 48 hours) OR strike a deal with an overseas news network to bring live programming (e.g Al Jazeera- low licensing fees)

Let’s be honest- They have almost nothing to work with in terms of imported primetime fillers so they might as well fill each weeknight with other content which might distinguish Ten’s primetime offerings from other networks. Having that single hour for flagship programming offers better variety for viewers throughout the week- instead of existing reality series that air up to 4 nights per week. I guess if they really wanted to milk a series for ratings they could extend the slot to 1.5 or 2 hours, like they have done with Masterchef at times, and air local news after, but I think a regular schedule is more preferable.

I don’t know why this thread is titled early evening woes when mid-late evening is when the bloodshed begins, and it can be quite easily fixed.

1 Like

the problem with 10 is multiple:

first, they went after a tech savvy market (18 to 35 year olds) meaning anything from OS that became a hit on 10 became fodder for filesharing.

they have no Must See TV on 10 - nothing that if i don’t watch i feel out of the loop at work. remeber with big brother was on and everyone was talking about Jess and Marty or the reverse kanga? (not that i’m saying they need to being BB Back).

lack of live sport is an issue (big bash aside as it’s in the non ratings period) we all know live sport is a driver of viewers but 10 is getting out of this market (look at what they have done with F1 last year) - sure the races may not rate high but to a marketer they are gold. they have a loyal somewhat dependable audience (you have to be loyal to get up at 2am to watch a race from the USA)

edit: what about another local soapie at 6:30 or so. run it against the second half of the other networks “news” broadcasts and i honestly think you’d have a good chance of capturing a good market

I have started a Mock Schedules topic in this forum - one that was previously very popular. A good place to outline schedule ideas.

This thread should just be “Ten woes”.

Poor early morning programming.
Dud sports deals aside from the big bash.
The fact that they will fall in a heap once the big bash finishes.
News department needs resourcing. Lack of news programming. Ten went from the best local news hour a few years ago to what is now a very bare bones bulletin without enough local reporters to cover local news.
No programming that works post 9:30.
Diabolical Saturday night ratings in ratings periods.
Poor selection of filler movies
Multi channels that rate below the main other multi channels.

All in all… Despite the inroads ten made in 2015 with some good programming in the 7:30 hour they still struggle. They have a lot to build on this year. If they continue to do what they did without evolving this year they will find themselves going backwards again.

3 Likes

Well my affection for live LOCAL news at 9.30 is well known, and Ten is the one to own that slot should they wish. They have an expensive news department, might as well exploit it as 5pm isn’t as strong as it once was.

1 Like

CMO - 10 bodged there sports by pushing them onto fox.

V8 supercars - fox, F1 - fox.

why would i watch an F1 race on 10 (or one) when i can turn onto fox, get uninterrupted coverage from green lights to chequered flag (yes they have ads but they don’t cut away from the on track action when they are on) with a great announce team (this especially applies to australia)

10 ahve bodged there sports coverage and they have no one else to blame

2 Likes

Most people can’t and won’t

So you would rather home shopping channels then stuff from News Corp? Is very weird. Surely one could replace a shopping channel.

Is this in comparison to 2014? Wouldn’t have been difficult to improve from 2014 in 2015.

The big goal for this year will be further improvement. Something I doubt Ten will achieve.

Nothing wrong with going back to what worked. What was delusional was moving these shows off to ELEVEN in the first place. These shows are still being made

I very much doubt that any channels from News Corp will be on FTA anytime soon because that doesn’t fit in with their current business model in this country.

And really, I’d be very surprised if TVSN and/or 15 Spree TV were kicked off the multiplex anytime soon for reasons that don’t need explaining.

1 Like

No one said anything about a shopping channel. And tvsn is NOT owned by news Corp. so yet another incoherent thought bubble on your behalf.

1 Like

Problem is it didn’t work. Wrong wrong wrong. You are referring to a pre multi channel, pre streaming world.

2 Likes

Gee it was only a suggestion. Where did I mention it?

Well The Good Wife, Elementary, Law and Order SVU, NCIS rpts and NCIS LA don’t do much better.

Can I ask you a question William. If you were a tv network exec that was running a channel to make money would you be happy with these shows getting between 120-300k?

1 Like

I can definitely understand this. It is expensive. But what happened to the times when money was spent at 9:30. Surely news is cheaper than what Rove, All Saints, Rush etc were at 9:30. Why can’t networks spend money at 9:30. Why does it have to be repeats? There are a lot of people getting home at 8:30/9:30 now. Lots. This could be the routine that this sorts of people are looking for when they get home. There are other markets and demographics out there and should be explored further.

1 Like

With instant news on the internet, less people get there news from television these day. And if they need it on TV at that time they have ABC News 24, SBS News and Sky News.

Ten already do 2 hours of news every weeknight. That’s enough.

And good to see you’re still infatuated with a cartoon.

3 Likes