Ten (Tasmanian Digital Television)

These are a big improvement, but they need some OTS or vision or something.

That afternoon update was just uncomfortable watching the presenter talk into the camera for 2 straight minutes.

Given SC are now making these, I don’t see why they can’t show some footage of each story as they’re read now. They’d already have vision from their SC7 News bulletins.

7 Likes

It seems that the independent name for Southern Cross News is just that. Why mess with a brand that has been around for 30 years… the TDT updates also look fantastic, never thought we’d see the day!

2 Likes

Far out. I leave the state for a few days and everything changes! They’re a huge improvement. Backdrop is Hobart and the titlecards background has the Hobart waterfront again and Devonport Bluff lighthouse. Cradle Mountain/Dove Lake also features in there.

2 Likes

Agreed. I’d also use a super with the presenter’s name instead of “Hello, I’m [your name here]”. Hopefully baby steps!

3 Likes

+1. I reckon they’ll do them properly with correct animations if their 7 News supers are anything to go by.

1 Like

I think the standard “Newsbreak” format would work to polish the Tasmania updates. Use the Newsbreak fanfare at the beginning, and overlay a VO on the closing card and music: “This local update brought to you by the resources of Southern Cross Austereo.” Just missing some vision, even some file vision for generic stories would lift the updates considerably.

3 Likes

Remember it’s a joint venture and WIN might still have a day in it or they probably won’t want to confuse with Southern Cross News. We know who SCA are but the general public won’t really.
It would have been good if WIN were able to do the updates from their now defunct Hobart studios… They were pretty much Nine still anyway!

Yes, but it’s still not a product of the Nine Network. Even if they used a sponsored newsbreak titlecard at the beginning with SCA as the “sponsor”.

I believe they could just add footage of the events told in the newsbreak while her voice continues. This way it’s less weird.

I don’t see the point in having SCA acknowledged in the news break. If Nine wanted an SCA credit I’m sure it would be there.

3 Likes

Why cant the WIN Network be the sponsor? They own 50% too.

My suggestion was to use the sponsor board to show that SCA are the producers. Not quite the intention of those boards but still.

WIN wouldn’t be in the mentions because they don’t make them. SCA resources and journalists are the ones used.

1 Like

On another note, why aren’t the TDT updates produced and presented from Launceston? There’d surely be a TOSS in Lonnie? And the sharing of resources would make much more sense.

Southern Cross News sport is regularly presented from Hobart, so they kinda are sharing resources

Aren’t the Tassie noodle updates done from Canberra though?

They were until these new ones this week. The new Nine ones are from Hobart where often sport or weather and other news stories come from for SC News. So the Hobart studio is fairly well utilised and they share the load.

Adding that these updates are from Southern Cross Austereo will likely muddy the brands too, even though it’s 7 Tasmania, people still call it Southern Cross and it is still Southern Cross News. Making another Southern Cross sounding news with noodle updates will lead to confusion and rumours around that Southern Cross has cut costs with their bulletins… despite the fact they are still on Seven. Keeping the SCA name far away will avoid any confusion.

5 Likes

Was watching Hotseat earlier and picked up the remote to change channels to The Chase then got quite confused because I hadn’t pushed any buttons yet and an ad for Take Me Out came on… either Channel Seven have started advertising their programs on Channel Nine or there was a slight issue with the playout for that one!

3 Likes

Did it have Southern Cross’ “Star” branding or Seven’s branding?

Seven. There’s nothing with the star anymore. Hasn’t been since mid-July.

1 Like

Just saw another of the new Nine News Tasmania updates/bulletins and once again it’s with Ruby Commane. Going through my recordings from last week of Southern Cross News I didn’t see any reports on there from her. I’m wondering whether the Nine News and SC News are being kept separate. So even though we know they are SCA produced, they are completely independent from SC Tas, so that is why they don’t have any vision and are still only the one person.

4 Likes