Ten Sport

It doesn’t have to be Formula 1 or even Supercars, think Rugby.

A real shame that they want to get out of all sport.

1 Like

sport is what made Seven and Nine it is today. I still think sport should be a priority.

2 Likes

It sounds like CBS had the right idea originally, but not ViacomCBS unfortunately.

4 Likes

have they not seen what happened to 10 when all the had was MotoGP, F1 and Rugby Union once the 2011 AFL season ended. Along came Commonwealth Games, Winter Olympics and Big Bash cricket which was a success for 10. They need major summer and winter codes.

I thought rugby in Australia was in dire straights?

I think 10 not having AFL or NRL puts makes them shit out of luck because there isn’t much else to choose from, both cricket and A-League are in summer and although I’d be bias Formula One practice even then probably wouldn’t rate that well. That leaves them only with niche sports (if they even play during those timeslots).

But 10 could take a leaf from their own slogan and air eSports, there’s plenty of iRacing races they could air (and quite a few of them are Australian based). It would be cheap and they wouldn’t need to do much of any production on it.

As long as it doesn’t get shunted to 10 Bold…

Edit: I did forget basketball and netball but unlike the NBA, small followings.

3 Likes

It might soon be time to move the Ten Sport thread into the TV History section of this forum! :wink:

Does it really surprise anyone that the network is moving towards a “entertainment network” focus when it seems quite likely the status quo with AFL & NRL broadcasting will remain potentially up until mid-late this decade?

3 Likes

General entertainment is 10’s strengths. MasterChef Finale rated 1.56m on Monday night

2 Likes

So what are the chances of Seven picking up Supercars in exchange for Olympics for 10.

A comment from Speedcafe:
(Bundy) Ok channel 10 where to next for you? Because you need to pick up the slack somewhere else for sport on FTA. You just can’t show the rugby tests as that just isn’t good enough from the 3rd biggest broadcaster in the country. I don’t think we’ll be missing much without your coverage of supercars which is a shane though as you are meant to be the home of motorsport. That said this title had already been thrown into doubt with the shelving of F1.

(Antipodean) 7 West dumped the Olympics contract after the postponement. Not just for Tokyo, ongoing.
Word is CH10 is picking that up.

If they did I’d put money that the’ll on-sell a lot of events to Foxtel or Optus.

Like they’ve virtually done with every other sport. Which is their problem, no one will watch because they won’t air it. Highlights on 10 Bold don’t cut it.

They pick up sports, don’t really bother to give it much care or allow Foxtel to have superior coverage, no one watches then they dump it to 10 Bold.

1 Like

The comment from that person is false. Seven have given no indication they are dropping it and every indication that they are moving ahead with the broadcast next year. The commenter has taken media speculation and made up their own story.

10 Likes

I’m presuming that it does, but I haven’t been able to find it on any guides. The reason I ask is because I’ve seen this on twitter:

They are on YouTube

Seven has been promoting the Olympics on the social media page

1 Like

Wow, @OnAir really can predict the future :thinking:

6 Likes

Sound strategy from ten. They can now use all that money for some format rights to prop up their entertainment (the circle please) and investing into some yearlong content for their main problem areas. It’s also a much better sell for their advertisers to be the only entertainment network with seasons that can play all year with no sport interruptions.

3 Likes

Unlike 7 and 9 which have Sport and they’re Australian Owned since 1956.

With Ten having pretty much no sports in the new year, could they still have “sports-panel type shows”, with an emphasis on “entertainment”. Like RPM, and “Before the Game” type-show to go against Seven’s The Front Bar etc?

Celebrity has shown that 10 can be competitive/make money against sport.

Hopefully 10 can invest in some new formats going forward and not rely on different versions of the same format over and over (Survivor/All Stars, MasterChef/Junior, Bachelor/Bachelorette/Bachelor In Paradise).

10’s sports deals of late have been pretty lacklustre anyway.

10 Likes

According to the AFR article Johnson linked to:

Ten was initially paying about $10 million a year for its six races per season. However, over the length of the contract it has renegotiated discounts. It is believed to have been paying somewhere between $7 million and $8 million in the last few years of its contract.

Considering that (if the rumours are correct) the deal Seven are expected to enter into will include more live races, you would think that they’ll probably be paying around what 10 initially did for the rights

1 Like