Ten Sport

Has been a fantastic week. First year with Penfolds sponsoring Derby Day and Paramount+ sponsoring Stakes Day (used to be AAMI and Sepplet Wines)

2 Likes

Both owned by Treasury Wine Estate. I guess when the premium option of Derby Day was available they went with the top shelf wine (mind you Seppelt do a few nice drops too). Both have a long history of supplying wine to the VRC back to the Adelaide Steamship days.

2 Likes

Despite the ratings they’ve done a great job. People don’t realise they did it for 20years. They just don’t know what it was like in the past with 9 on WWOS on a Saturday etc.

Any criticism is not. Contextual. It wouldve been great to get
More racing but alas not to be.

2 more years of the rights so hopefully just as good as quality. Sevens coverage of the Melbourne cup carnival was pathetic compared to 10’s in the 90s and the latest years.

2 Likes

When 10 won the rights in 2018, Paramount+ wasn’t launched

3 Likes

Peter Moody was with the coverage between 2019 and 20 but is now the trainer of “Incentivise”

2 Likes
3 Likes

It kind of amazes me that people actively watch the filler between the races - especially when you’re only covering a single race location (like what Ten are covering with the Carnival)

It would be interesting to see a more granular temporal breakdown of the ratings of their coverage - quality or not, I’d imagine the number of people watching would be a lot lower then the number watching the races

1 Like

Updated 10 Peach broadcast schedule for the first six rounds of 2021/22 NBL season, due to WA’s hard border closure to Victoria and NSW:

Sunday 5 December
1pm- 36ers v Hawks
3pm- Kings v United (no change)

Sunday 12 December
1pm- United v Phoenix (no change)
3pm- 36ers v Breakers

Sunday 19 December
1pm- United v Breakers (no change)
3pm- Bullets v Hawks

Sunday 26 December
1pm- JackJumpers v Breakers (no change)
3pm- Kings v United (no change)

Sunday 2 January
1pm- 36ers v Phoenix
3pm- Hawks v Taipans (no change)

Sunday 9 January
1pm- Hawks v United
3pm- Bullets v Breakers

2 Likes

Ten said on their last ever MotoGP race this morning, that it was coming to an end after 24 years at Network 10. I thought they would still continue in some capacity, by just covering Australian Grand Prix.

2 Likes

From Daryl Beattie:

https://www.instagram.com/p/CWNUDxUP-Ot/?utm_medium=copy_link

“Tomorrow nights @motogp will be my last @10sportau The transition from sportsman to normal life can be challenging and in 1998 @deedub44 offered me a job at Network Ten. It certainly helped me make that transition at 27 years of age. It has given me many years of working with life long friends. Thank you.”

2 Likes

They’re not interested in non-exclusive sports rights that they cannot stream as well as offer on broadcast tv.

2 Likes

sometimes you have to take what you can get.

I can’t expect Seven or 9 (yes I know they have covered it in the past) to be the FTA provider of Australian Grand Prix.

1 Like

Alternatively, you don’t. And can draw a line in the sand. A one-off race does nothing for Ten.

5 Likes

It still happens even now. Formula 1 has been like this for a few years now, since 2019.

1 Like

Decisions most likely made under different circumstances and by previous management, things change and that doesn’t set a precedent for what might happen now.

1 Like

I would like to see when the next the rights deal is announced for Formula 1, to as to whether or not Ten is involved for it. I assume MotoGP doesn’t make money for them by airing 1 race but where as F1 probably does.

2 Likes

It is a disappointing decision by 10 not to renew the MotoGP rights, especially with two Aussies (Jack Miller and newly crowned Moto 2 world champion Remy Gardner, son of Wayne Gardner) competing in 2022.
Also, MotoGP has been delivering consistent ratings for 10 Bold on most Sunday nights.
Unless another FTA network picks up the rights, Australian MotoGP in future years will only be shown on Pay TV.

2 Likes

it looks like we won’t get to see Daryl Beattie at the Australian Grand Prix, no idea who they will have for their hosting, reporting and commentary team.

2 Likes

Scott plus maybe Stephen Quartermaine, even Caty Price, definitely Tara Rushton. There would probably be freelancers around as well.

3 Likes

Considering MotoGP did an exclusive deal with Fox, 10 probably didn’t get an opportunity to cut some type of deal in the first place.

5 Likes