Ten News First Content and Appearance (2015-Sept 2020)

Two stories aired on the Sydney 5pm news last night really caused me concern and really upset my family and I.

The first was a story on the best goats at the Royal Easter Show. It started with an introduction to some beautiful goats and really endeared the viewer to their personalities. Without warning, they showed goat meat frying on a pan. It was really tacky and quite shocking the way it was cut and not nice vision for kids to watch, especially on holidays.

The second was the story of the American killer who filmed his murder on Facebook. Ten showed the killer walking up to an innocent old man, showed the entire conversation, and then blurred the gun pointing at him. He was dead within seconds. No warning to the viewer whatsoever. I do wonder if the victim was a young white woman whether the sensitivity monitor would have kicked in.

There’s a way to tell these stories sensitively and Ten failed for me on both counts.

3 Likes

Interesting use of the Exclusive titlecard.

6 Likes

Bruce has obviously been schooling Ten on how to do unnecessarily oversized, obtrusive watermarks.

10 Likes

Brisbane opener tonight

5 Likes

Much prefer those tighter front on opening shots rather than the regular ones that come in higher from more of the left hand side of the studio.

seems to be a rushed job by the journo in the field for twitter. I’ve never seen that in a style guide…

1 Like

Sorry yes, I should have clarified that was taken off Twitter posted by Qld journalist Jayde Cotic and clearly isn’t something that is the done thing. Was just highlighting it was an interesting use of the exclusive titlecard.

1 Like

Was just scrolling through Youtube last night and saw this video of what i presume is a community online show? well its using the old Ten News Perth set.

7 Likes

You can see discussion of that here

4 Likes

Yep. I’m the producer of that show. We produce it at Tafe and Ten donated the set when they moved premises.

10 Likes

A touch of Bris glamour with @JoshHoltTEN doing our national weather tonight. Spot the dress thongs. @channeltennews https://t.co/pcgpM0p6Kw

What is the set in the background?

4 Likes

The Loop?

7 Likes

4 Likes

What an awful outfit she is wearing. Average set.

2 Likes

Didn’t realise The Loop was recorded in Brisbane :o

Josh must’ve been in Sydney.

1 Like

Caught Josh Holt’s weather report tonight. Simply the best in the business - flawless delivery.

AFAIK Eleven’s programs are made in Brisbane e.g. Toasted TV, Totally Wild etc

2 Likes

I’m pretty sure that The Loop is produced in Sydney, while the other non-Neighbours local productions (ie, the children’s programs and before it was axed, Couch Time) for Eleven are produced in Brisbane.

2 Likes

Yes, The Loop set is just across from the Sydney news set.

2 Likes