Ten News First Content and Appearance (2015-Sept 2020)

Yes they may even bring back Wake Up and Ten Late News :joy:

Yes I have to agree… Is having 5 local editions warranted around the country with very little return?

As I’ve said before, I can see Stephen Quartermaine moving to Sydney to read the news with Sandra. (Ten National News Hour) We still might have local windows for sport and weather though. It will be a sad time for the network if this does eventuates.

Family Feud also seems to be loosing steam, another options could be to have a national bulletin at 5.00, and go local at 6.00 for 30m minutes?

What if ten were affiliated with CBS on a brand and identity level? CBS Australia? CBS TEN? or simply CBS? Because the way it is now, The Ten brand seems to be loosing steam.

Why?
The Ten brand is a hell of a lot stronger in Australia than CBS, and what would it achieve?

1 Like

I am pretty sure they did something like that during the 2011 news resolution?

The problem with Ten financially is that it’s just not diversified like other networks are.

Nine and Seven invested heavily in their online portals at the turn of the millennium and therefore geared their newsrooms toward churning out both TV and online news. Especially now in 2017, those online portals (or what’s left of them in the case of NineMSN) are turning into really viable means of generating income. Just look at Nine.com.au and all the sub-brands which NEC has launched in merely the last two years, which daily churn out new articles and stories. Both Nine.com.au and Yahoo7 are successful case-studies into how to build a 21st Century, diversified media company which dovetails into traditional media forms like television. It’s impressive how well they’ve done.

But then you look at Ten, the supposed youth network of the early 21st century, and you see how badly they neglected the online sphere. It’s actually amazing, in hindsight, that the network whose key demographic was going online the quickest of any network on Australian TV, just did nothing but stick to television. The old Ten.com.au, and now the belated TenPlay, were/are token services which did/do nothing useful. I visit NineMSN or Yahoo7 because those sites have content like articles in addition to what’s on TV. Meanwhile Ten.com.au has maybe a few behind the scenes videos and catchup. That’s it.

Ten was the most profitable network back during the Big Brother/Idol days. They had no reason to not reinvest their profits into the part of the media which was obviously going to be the future.

Lots of people (myself included) look back at early-2000s era Ten and think “wow they really were doing so well”. The funny thing is, that’s actually been proven wrong. They were hopelessly short-sighted and chased short-term profit at the expense of long-term visibility and relevance in the online sphere. Perhaps the reason they were so profitable was because the competition was investing in mediums which would carry them on for decades to come.

Disastrous now that Ten News, as a department, doesn’t put out anything other than clips from the 5pm bulletin. Every other news organisation in the first world would’ve geared up a decade ago to be outputting written articles and unique online content. What a clusterfuck.

12 Likes

The internal audit is for impairment costs I think relating to licenses.

Given that feud would cost a bit for 300k viewers wouldn’t it be cheaper for ten to extend the news for half an hour to get the same ratings and just rehash the same stories in a condensed bulletin from the 5pm version. Just stay on air for half an hour longer and repackage the news for the same ratings that feud gets and the costs would be way cheaper.

5 Likes

I don’t think your predication would happen, if they were to move something to Sydney it would be small market broadcasts like seen in Perth with Tim and Charmaine but I don’t think that will happen again considering they just moved to a new studio

Those of us who’ve been part of the Media Spy community for a while may remember the Ten News At Five/Ten News At Six experiment of Late 2011/Early 2012 (or thereabouts). Why didn’t that work, I hear you ask? Because for a majority of Australian TV viewers, 6pm is firmly entrenched as being Seven/Nine News time.

Unless Ten does a really compelling half hour of news at 6pm to compete with the powerful forces that are the mostly hour long 6pm bulletins on Seven and Nine (which are fronted by some of the most popular and influential TV newsreaders in the country, no less), such a proposal is destined to fail again.

3 Likes

Tonight

Cyclone story

6 Likes

Agree. I could be wrong. Running 5 newsrooms to do 1 hour of news outside of primetime is not good economics at all. Something will give sooner or later.

I don’t see going local at 6.

The cost saving is not whether you produce 60 minutes of content or 30 - the cost savings is operating 5 full newsrooms and the staff and crew it takes to put 5 bulletins a day to air.

I see 5pm going national

Perhaps Ten will add an extra half hour of news to ease the blow and be able to spin the PR positively. Perhaps a 10.30 bulletin.

All guesses.

But one thing that i fact - currents situation is not economically sustainable.

1 Like

What’s the point in that? The CBS brand means nothing to Australian viewers. Like with suggestions to bring in the Fox brand here, I don’t get this desire to mimic American brands here… we get enough of it already.

Just out of interest what is there to see on Yahoo7? Whenever i go there i just see stupid clickbait stories that even news.com.au or Daily Mail would reject.

3 Likes

If that ever were to happen, it would happen if Eleven was rebadged under the Ten brand, but never to the main channel.

Eleven → Ten CBS, for example. The channel is already 50/50 Ten and CBS owned, plus lots of their foreign content comes from CBS’ library.

Yeah I was going to say that his two examples of networks making use of online spaces for news is really only one example. 9news.com.au is a total success story as it really does cover all news areas with fast coverage (as it actually has a proper online editorial team), but Yahoo7 often just republishes AAP or posts crap. People forget about how good ABC News Online is too.

5 Likes

Sort of like what they do in the UK with CBS down there (i have access to the UK channels , as well as American ones) so down there do it specifically by genre
CBS Reality
CBS Drama

Could do that here, if they were to ever rebrand Eleven.

But back on topic.
I don’t see Ten axing their local bulletins. True enough i do agree it isn’t economically viable for Ten at the moment, it’s more like haemorrhaging blood but they are not willing to fix it (for some odd reason). I do see a possibility they will cut back on the 1 hour bulletins to probably a half an hour during the week though.

Yahoo is the most popular newssite in the world, so I assume the Australian counterpart would be somewhat popular here.

I sometimes visit mainly for Seven News and Yahoo Finance (who do a pretty good job) articles. I don’t visit frequently myself, but that’s more me being a pretentious public broadcasting snob. That being said, I’ll visit either nine.com.au or Y7 before even considering Tenplay, which is a massive part of the problem.

John Holt in Townsville for Ten Qld

4 Likes

Reporter Kristina Costalos also on location with Josh, as seen in the picture.

1 Like

Why would Ten replace programs that out-rate Nine News Now, offer alternative programming and look like they would be attractive to advertisers?

6 Likes

I still think they should go into the untapped Late night bulletin. But this just suits me personally, or maybe an morning bulletin?

5 Likes