Ten News First Content and Appearance (2015-Sept 2020)

Probably just the same bulletin but on an hour delay. Adelaide would be in the same boat just receiving on a 30 minute delay.

2 Likes

Hugh Riminton now reporting from the Turkish Boarder with Syria.

2 Likes

I think you’d be surprised - I don’t think they’d be that big, depending on the compression factor, of course.

Even though the screen is gigantic, it would be limited to the capturing and playout tech. Videos would be limited to HD file-sizes, still images would be easier to make larger but I’d say they’d still be capped at 4K. You can afford to blowup/upscale images - even if they pixelate a little bit this would be hidden by the studio camera resolution and the distance they are from the screen. (Gaussian blur is a good friend too…)

The text and news first circle can be super-imposed by viz, and as it’s basically a vector, it’d be crystal clear and scalable.

So at the end of the day, for a 4K widescreen image saved as a jpeg, you’re looking at maybe… 2MB? The raw Photoshop documents would be around 150-200MB on average?

While I’ve never made anything for a screen that size, some of the images I’ve gotten away with in the past have been excruciating for me to look at… but on set they do work.

11 Likes

Great insight, thanks for sharing.

2 Likes

In one of our studios we have a LED video wall that’s 8m x 3m, or 2816x 1056 pixels. The panels are P2.84, which would be larger pixels than what 10 are using (i.e. they’d have more of them), but the files aren’t huge. So yes, you’re right, they’re not as big as what people would think.

We actually run the video wall out of two aux outputs from our switcher (through a video router), with two sending cards, one for each side. So technically we’re sending two 1080p streams to it, but only part of each is being used (2816 is less than 2x1920 or 3840).

5 Likes

So this is a thing now…

2 Likes

Haha, love it :heart:

1 Like

You laugh reacted your own post, settle down

1 Like

No I didn’t - check again.
Edit: Never mind

I think I just died and went to hell.

1 Like

Harry and Megan docco was promoted on 1O News First tonight using the old Ten logo…

1 Like

Here it is: (at 26:47 mark)

1 Like

The Sydney background at 19:29 and the closing shot look really good.

6 Likes

Holy Geesus.

4 Likes

I never thought I’d see it on-air again!

1 Like

Re(un)launch incoming?

3 Likes

How does that get past QC? How is that logo even still in the graphics system!?

Yeesh.

6 Likes

<STUPID RANDOM TEN SPECULATION>
Maybe they’re going to launch a Ten Classic channel with just old TV idents on a loop and the occasional special program.
</STUPID RANDOM TEN SPECULATION>

(j/k obviously)

4 Likes

I know this is far afield, but CBC Radio One program Day Six clipped 10’s recent election promo as part of their lead story looking into Canadian elections on Monday and the general decline of democracy in the world. Of course, they’re talking about mandatory voting.

1 Like

10 News First will be shown on 10Bold in all states this Saturday (October 26), due to 10’s coverage of Supercars Gold Coast 600 and Rugby World Cup semi final.

1 Like