Ten News First Content and Appearance (2015-Sept 2020)

After seeing Sydney’s new set, Adelaide’s looks incredibly small. The image below is Ten Eyewitness News V1 but the footprint is basically the same as the present set.

I’d welcome Adelaide set upgrades in the style of Sydney’s but I don’t know how they’ll pull it off given the size constraints :thinking:

6 Likes

How old are the current Ten News sets (and the previous Sydney set)?
Only one I know for sure is Perth.
Much appreciated!!

Both studios are very small in Melbourne. Even The Project studio is small for its production.

Melbourne/Brisbane/Adelaide/Perth will most likely incorporate the desk set up, without the couch and 9m length screen.

As stated previously, ATV10 really does need a new location in Melbourne.

6 Likes

They ain’t gonna be rolling out 36m wide sets around the country folks. I’d expect a rebuild within the existing studio footprints, new screen tech if we’re lucky.

I like everything about the set other than the furniture - the desk and couch are tacky as. Othwerwise, it is an incredibly useful multipurpose space that could work from breakfast to late night. If only they built it facing the other direction for a full 360 set with open newsroom…

I think the other cities will be more of a wink to Sydney rather than attempting to duplicate the scale of Sydney. You will get the new desk and some design elements, which is all they really need.

4 Likes

Yeah, admittedly I thought the TVQ studio in which the news is filmed was relatively big due to the size/scale of some previous sets. Maybe they just looked quite large on-screen!

I was half wondering if there could be the scope (well, not Lee’s science show - besides I actually rather like how that set is made to look a bit like a backyard bunker :slight_smile:) for a multipurpose set in Brisbane but a news-style set would be far too corporate looking for cheerful children’s television.

Yeah, I suspect Adelaide might be the last market to upgrade given their incredibly limited studio space.

Actually, despite @JohnsonTV’s suggestion that Ten Melbourne should relocate I think Ten Adelaide might need one even more because their current facilities weren’t originally intended to include a news set IIRC (was built/finished when Adelaide’s bulletin was still presented in Melbourne, if I’m not mistaken).

I think the main bones of Sydney’s old set dated back to 2011 (desk, originally for the ultimately short-lived Ten Evening News) and 2012 (three plasma set-up was introduced just after the axing of double headers at the end of that year, IIRC)?

The news set at Pyrmont saw several tweaks and elements added/removed between 2011 and last year that it’s been really hard to keep up!

1 Like

Yeah, I think I read somewhere (possibly even here on MS :slight_smile:) that when Adelaide’s news moved back to Adelaide, a number of producing/technical aspects remained in Melbourne … and with the 30 minute overlap, this had something to do with the reason Adelaide’s Eyewitness News set didn’t have the two larger screens and instead substituted them with printed photo panels (this still continues under 10 News First branding). Whether there were other factors etc in the no screen decisions, I’m not sure.

So aside from space issues, there’s the problem of how any additional screens etc would be controlled given these arrangements (and where all the extra equipment could go)

1 Like

The new set was designed in partnership with the 10’s graphics team, led by David
Bernstein and The Exposure Group’s Vi Hermens. The software driving the screens
is Vizrt’s Multiplay.

3 Likes

I wonder how Perth will adapt the Sydney set into a considerably smaller space at their Dianella Subiaco studios compared to Pyrmont’s.

Ten haven’t been in dianella for a couple of years :thinking::thinking:
New studios are in Subaco

1 Like

Think all the metropolitan stations will embrace the white big screen curvy block desk aesthetic on a smaller scale.

Ten Brisbane could also have another big screen where the weather green screen is, same with Ten Melbourne and Perth. Adelaide could have a smaller screen (Similiar size to SBS) and then show off a bit of the newsroom.

Corrected. :stuck_out_tongue:

A Smaller curved screen, a replica desk and on the side some lightboxes and a couple of vertical plasmas maybe for the local sets?

2 Likes

Whatever the next set will be for Adelaide, one thing for certain is that they’re definitely getting screens instead of lightboxes.

3 Likes

Yes, please! Adelaide’s set works well enough with its secondary presentation area (and a real screen! :open_mouth:) … but on the other hand they don’t have a lot to work with for major news etc. Ditching those lightboxes (and looking at Sydney as a template) will bring it up to a whole new level.

4 Likes

Another note, I love the camera sweep during the first cross between Sandra and the reporter reporting on the fires. Were there any other mentionable camera angles/sweeps?

1 Like

it’s amazing what some nice wide angle lenses can do.

correct, but they made it work. With some changes to the office plan though, they have some space to create a new set - pushing everything back against the wall (behind the current set) and swinging everything around 180 degrees.

Perth’s is a shoebox too, but all markets could make the vertical plasmas and big screen behind the desk work. Maybe even a curved giant screen to encompass weather?

4 Likes

Watching the bulletin again I do think there are a couple of improvements that could be made -

1. A piece of glass on the top of the desk.

2. White borders around the two big screens on the left side (which I’m guessing are the screens off the old set given their size and relative dimness). They are a bit big and dark in the wide shots of the studio.

But it’s pretty damn close to perfection to be honest. Hopefully they can mix up the shots and movement around the studio over time, there is huge potential.

Already working on adapting it for other cities :smile:

4 Likes
6 Likes

They might just need to decrease the brightness of the 10 logo on the desk.

6 Likes