Ten News and Current Affairs

sorry to dig up an old post, but just having a scroll.

the early 2000s Adelaide Set wasn’t the Melbourne newsroom, it was a flat image of the Perth/Weekend Set in Sydney. They put a little red dot over Adelaide haha.

1 Like

One of my favourite 10 News logos and I loved that Late News set so much. Both were so different to the competition and really pushing the envelope.

Also, loved the energy of combining it with Sports Tonight. Very dynamic.

2 Likes

A 1988 Page One report on the troubles in Eritrea by Michael Cordell.

1 Like

Melbourne news update from 4 August 1990:

6 Likes

no wallpapering with ULAY’s back then.

Channel 10 Melbourne
Friday 30 September 1983

Eyewitness News Update With Charles Slade

‘Rob Gell’s Sunday’ Promo

5 Likes

Were ATV still using that gold 10 logo in '83?

1 Like

Back in 1989/1990, when there was “TEN Evening News” at 6pm, followed by a city titled affairs program at 6.30. trying to recall who was regular presenter of each in the 5 metro markets.

This was during the “TV Australia” logo era.

Sydney - Eric Walters (6pm news), Mike Gibson (“Sydney” 6.30)
Melbourne - David Johnston (6pm news), Tracey Curro (“Melbourne” 6.30)
Brisbane - Bruce Paige (6pm news), Anna McMahon (“Brisbane” 6.30)

Have i got this right?

No idea what Adelaide and Perth did.

1 Like

From 22 Jan 1990.

3 Likes

AFAIK only Sydney and Brisbane had 6.30 current affairs shows, although current affairs was probably overselling them a bit. I think they were more magazine-style programs.

Melbourne maintained the one-hour news format during 1990, with David Johnston and Tracey Curro reading during the week. Mal Walden with the half-hour news on weekends.

Ten Evening News in Perth kept the one-hour as well but started at 5.30pm. For some of that time Ten in Perth was showing one-hour episodes of Neighbours from 6.30pm to catch up to the eastern states (and possibly to try and stop people tuning in to Home And Away starting at 7.00pm)

When the big axe fell late in November 1990, Sydney With Mike Gibson and Brisbane With Anna McMahon both got the chop, and the Melbourne news was cut back to 30 minutes. I think that Adelaide and Perth kept the one-hour news but Perth shifted its news to 6.00 to match the other states and presumably had caught up with Neighbours by then.

7 Likes

So essentially, Channel Ten’s response to Nine’s state-based ‘Extra’ programs, but tailored for the audience typically interested in shows like ‘A Current Affair’?

Not really a response in that it was two years before Nine’s Extra shows :wink:

4 Likes

Sydney had Ian Leslie at 6pm from January 22nd, however, he only lasted a few months from memory. The whole thing was an expensive disaster in Sydney and Brisbane.

2 Likes

Eyewitness News special coverage of the 1986 Challenger disaster, including extended interviews. Such a winning team, formula, set, timeslot (post Perfect Match) combination.

4 Likes

Interesting to see so much of the bulletin devoted to the disaster.

And as a side note, I can relate to the ghosted TV reception! We used to live on the wrong side of a hill and our TV reception was similar!

2 Likes

Eyewitness News (note, branding was mostly listed and spoken without the ‘ten’, which I like) always felt like a very American style news service back then, even down to the content sometimes. I think I read somewhere Eyewitness News was launched as a new-style American inspired broadcast (I think there is an interview with Katrina Lee from the early 80s explaining the look and feel of the new Eyewitness News when it first launched).

Yes the early versions of Eyewitness News here was based on a US-style presentation with more informal interaction between presenters and an emphasis on live reporting - which is overdone these days to point that it’s almost useless (e.g. live crosses to a reporter outside a building where something happened weeks ago)

4 Likes

The first version of the Eyewitness News brand was with BTQ 7.

2 Likes

ATV Ten Eyewitness News 1987

YouTube: OZTVHERITAGE 2

2 Likes

NWS9 in Adelaide also had it for a short time in the 1970s.

2 Likes