Ten News First Content and Appearance (2015-Sept 2020)

As I said, could all be wrong. Only time will tell.

I assumeNewscorp (owner of Sky News) would be doing the take over. Thatā€™s been rumoured here a few times.

If they do, it might make sense to dismantle the Ten News department and use Sky News.

You may be right. If your source is very reliable and is in the know then yeah I guess I will keep my ears up and flapping.

But the other side of me is sayingā€¦ How can they make a move toward to dismantling the news department and taking over ten. How much do they own of the ten network?

Does Sky still rely on the news resources of 7 and 9? Perhaps instead of tearing down Ten News actually use it to bolster Sky

1 Like

So what could we be looking at

Sky Witness news then,? Lol.

Iā€™m sorry but I think this is still a joke. :grinning:

2 Likes

One did say ā€œperhaps wait until just before Easterā€, but then why did they release a new look of Ten Eyewitness News only a few months ago, and then potentially announce another one of Ten News

Not that I think that this is real, but wouldnā€™t a takeover by NewsCorp be disallowed under the current 2 out of three rule (and maybe the reach rule)?

Thatā€™s what Iā€™m thinking.

No. Newscorp owns newspapers. Ten owns TV and thatā€™s only two. Foxtel is not included because it is not broadcast.

However,the ACCC would have to approve any acquisition/merger/joint ownership under competition laws. Nothing could happen quickly.

Iā€™m not sure why ten keep mucking around with their news department as the solution to all their woes. Look at their overpaid programming department as well as their over inflated output deals. There are other areas where they can make cuts and overall do the fucktards at ten realsie they need to invest and grow to actually make money. Continual cuts donā€™t turn the network around.

5 Likes

There was an external company brought in to audit the network at the end of last year. My source says that there will be an announcement most likely just after Easterā€¦ but also that it may not neccessarily be bad news. However, the words ā€˜efficiency auditā€™ donā€™t get thrown around too often.

4 Likes

You obviously didnā€™t witness (no pun) Tenā€™s multiple brand changes in the 80ā€™s :slight_smile:

I think, overall and if true, a Sky News merger is a way forward.

As long as we at least keep our local news.
Otherwise I have completely lost hope in their news department and the network as a whole.

3 Likes

Ten have proven that they can operate a national bulletin for two weeks solid and that it doesnā€™t suffer a significant dip in the ratings.

3 Likes

Are you foreshadowing a broader change that perhaps could be coming?

If they do that there is an instant reduction in quality and the ability to cover local stories important to each state. There will be very little of state politics being run on a national service.

3 Likes

If anything, local news is more important right now than it ever has been before.

It would be very disappointing if Ten axed or significantly reduced itā€™s local news presence in favour of a national bulletin on weeknights.

5 Likes

I said a few weeks ago I feel the local bulletins going away for national bulletinsā€¦

1 Like

I donā€™t really get the Ten / Sky tie up that is being talked about.

But you have to imagine if it does happen - youā€™d see more than just 5pm news on Ten.

I think perhaps breakfast and 10.30 bulletin

4 Likes

I would have thought that Ten and Sky joining would have been a bigger benefit to Sky than Ten - newsroom an studio access in 5 cities, areas Sky really need to improve on if it is to ever be a really national news channel.

1 Like

How much of a stake does Lachlan Murdochā€™s Illyria have in Ten and News? Would his stake in ownership of Nova Entertainment impede on such a takeover?