Ten News First Content and Appearance (2015-Sept 2020)

I’m not saying the same people will produce entertainment programming but investing in prime time will create more jobs.

While there isn’t a specific requirement for local news in metro areas like the aggregated regions, there is a specific requirement under the Broadcasting Services Act for a commercial television service to contribute to the “provision of an adequate and comprehensive range of broadcasting services in that licence area”. You could argue that that means the inclusion of a news service. I remember when 10 had financial troubles in 1990 and there was talk of a takeover and turning it into a movie network, the minister said that wouldn’t happen, as regulations required all licences to deliver comprehensive programming.

5 Likes

This repetitive thread gets more wild and ridiculous with pure speculation and amateur ideas by the day.

5 Likes

That level of arrogance makes me hope you don’t work in the media. If any presenter shares this arrogance they don’t deserve to be the face of a bulletin put together by what is clearly see as inferior staff.

If anything, this is positive refocusing their current resources. The presenters going back to reporting will provide far more value to the bulletins by creating content rather than just reading a script someone else wrote.

4 Likes

It’s Ten though, they’ve always been the ones to take major risks. Some times successful, sometimes not so. Then sometimes they’ll do something you least expect. That’s why in this thread people are always discussing what’s next (some ideas more outlandish then others). But agreed it does sometimes feel like we are going around in circles here.

7 Likes

Let’s hope come Monday, ten do something different so we have something to talk about.

2 Likes

Why couldn’t they have both presenters do field reporting and anchor the news bulletin together rather than demoting one of them?

Tens cost per hour of producing news must be significant compared to seven and nine that can utilize resources to produce cheap news content over multiple hours. Hence why I question why ten is bothering.

Their actions clearly show they couldn’t care less about producing something quality.

1 Like

Haha agreed. But then again, compared to Bec Morse here in Adelaide - more things tend to happen on the East Coast and we’re here like: “yep just doing our thing”

1 Like

I do get what you are trying to say, and I do question why they bother. People who tune into the news, usually tune into one particular service e.g. 9 News, not just the one bulletin. So I do get what you are saying, maybe they could axe the current existing model, and focus on maybe one bulletin focused on the youth that doesn’t require you to watch multiple bulletins. I hope this makes sense.

But I really hope they don’t resort to this, and I hope we see expansion. Remember TEN are launching an online News portal/site called Ten Daily. So who knows, we might see online bulletins. But I haven’t heard much about Ten Daily yet.

If they were to axe the news they would still have to produce content for The Project. People forget that they actually do produce more than one hour of news a day, they produce two! :confused:

8 Likes

Chatting about news is very cheap. Studio 10 and The Project could survive even without Ten News at 5.

because then you lot would complain that they don’t have enough reporters to cover all of the stories - it’s been said before.

Melbourne this evening;

10 Likes

New backdrop?

They still need to update their Twitter bio as Candice is listed.

4 Likes

Yeah a new backdrop

Nice backdrop!

2 Likes

Is it just me that can’t warm to Stephen Quartermain as the anchor?

1 Like

You’re not alone.
I would’ve preferred that Candice stayed.

Was there any notable changes in Sydney?
(Matt Bourke no longer has a nice backdrop of the newsroom but now uses the plasma :frowning:

They should really use the plasma for the weather (similarly to Shultzy and Daily Bailey). Would cut down cost and have better presenter interaction.

3 Likes

Bye Lachlan :frowning: (Coincidentally Lachlan is voicing the first story :stuck_out_tongue: )

10 Likes