Ten News First Content and Appearance (2015-Sept 2020)

The original format might’ve been a good addition to Ten Daily.

Also a good example of a “next step” for the non-bulletin WIN Local Updates. For SA they’d just need a few more stories, relevant footage, and a brief journo report on one of the stories to bump it to 3-4 minutes.

NNSW could keep the regular updates, with a version to recap top stories and add new ones in the ad break between TENFAF and Family Feud.

3 Likes

Now that I think about it, I remember reading somewhere that Sandra was quoted as saying that as part of her role with ten daily that she would be doing news updates for the site so maybe something to come down the track.

Brisbane backdrop seen during Footy Focus

10 Likes

Part of the old set?

2011:

8 Likes

the entire old set is still there, behind the three plasma setup. this angle has only started being seen since they’ve added another body on stage left.

4 Likes

I thought all those parts were dismantled when their refresh happened a few years ago (behind the screens) .

nup… still there. if anyone can cap tonight’s opening wide shot, you’ll see.

1 Like

4 Likes

It used to be worse I guess… You could see the blue backdrop above the old set…

1 Like

yeah, so some tweaks to ‘flatten’ it out… but still there.

3 Likes

God… it really is such a botch job then :stuck_out_tongue:

1 Like

NSW Budget

4 Likes

Caps of Melbourne bulletin from last week:

6 Likes

Does Ten Perth have a day and night photo or do they use a dusk image all year?

Same one all year round.

The idea of doing the live-cross throw via the plasma is great, but maybe they should use the vertical ones on the RHS. Then Stephen wouldn’t be kinking his neck.

They use a relatively dark backdrop compared to Sydney’s during summer. However, it doesappear they have slightly altered it for winter.

Although I doubt the money will be spent on the necessary upgrades anytime in the immediate future, I personally think Ten (OK, Seven Sydney may even be worse for this but that’s for another topic) needs to do whatever they can to make sure you can’t so obviously tell that some news segments from the studio are pre-recorded because they’re in upconverted SD compared to native HD for live segments!

For comparison purposes, here’s a few caps from last night of live/native HD content:

…and caps of similar pre-recorded/upconverted SD content:

BTW, I have no idea what’s behind the different colouring for the Sports backdrop in the “upconverted SD” cap compared to the “native HD” one but that’s how it aired.

5 Likes

Time for Stephen’s final bulletin

No farewell. All that was said from Stephen was ‘from me, thank you and goodnight’

10 Likes

I love Melbourne’s backdrop, I wish Brisbane’s was as vibrant and not so grainy.

8 Likes