Ten News First Content and Appearance (2015-Sept 2020)

Looks great.

Don’t know why Brisbane can’t get a new one if the other states have, surely in the scheme of things it’s really not that hard :thinking:

6 Likes

That’s definitely an improvement on the backdrop they were using before. And yes, better than the fairly blurry backdrop that the Sydney bulletin uses during the darker months.

The next step for Ten: Getting the non-Sydney/national bulletins into HD production. But for obvious reasons, unfortunately I can’t see that happening anytime soon…

4 Likes

Agree. Very polished.

IIRC, Melbourne has had about 5 in the 4 years Brisbane has had the current one.

Yep that’s the one! Looks great :slight_smile:

1 Like

Still relatively light at 5pm.

1 Like

Regardless of Ten Perth donating their news set to community TV, was there a particular reason why they didn’t just move the backdrop to Subiaco and replace the timber trim with faux metal to go with the new desk?

Backdrop was old, before the construction of Elizabeth Quay which is now a key landmark in the Perth CBD, so it made sense to create a new updated skyline when moving to Subiaco.

1 Like

Not to mention that the current set for Ten Eyewitness News: First At Five Perth actually has three plasmas like the East Coast markets (and I think Perth’s current backdrop loop also animates, etc.), unlike the previous set which only had the middle vertical screen and two lighted backdrops.

1 Like

I can think of a lot better things to spend money on. HD news won’t get them one extra viewer or improve the news content in any way.

2 Likes

The new ‘studio’ in Subiaco is much smaller than what they had in Dianella, it might not have fitted into the available space.

1 Like

Perth is full HD capable but still produced in SD until whole network is converted to HD. Adelaide studio is SD.

Correct. New perth studio much smaller and consists of 4 plasma screens. Dianella has 1 vertical plasma and two durotrans either side which are now at tafe.

1 Like

Except for the plasma. Ten still have that.

Ten were the industry leaders back in the original TEN HD days of 1080i delivery, but that fell by the way side when it was dumped for ONE HD… at the time it was more expensive to buy HD capable equipment, and obviously the finance people balked at the idea of being future compatible.

Now that HD is essentially standard (remember, for the USA SD was still 4x3!) I’ve been told Ten has the plans in place to upgrade everything to HD, but with the growth and transformation process happening everything is on hold.

8 Likes

lol

3 Likes

more the latter than the former

Growth and transformation ?haha dont make me throw up lexington.

They did half baked job with the new ten hd… half baked. Not a real hd channel at all.

They should not have launched ten hd again, if they cant get it running its content in hd.

1 Like

Well lexington, did say that there wasn’t much fanfare with the launch of Ten HD. He/she has told us over and over again about it.

1 Like

So it’s been a few weeks since all the sky news rumours, do we have any updates on what’s happening in the Ten newsroom?

1 Like

Well William, I’m always going to counter argue - why bother launching a half baked HD service for the main channel if they weren’t fully ready? :stuck_out_tongue:

Anyway let’s move this discussion back to the one and truly - ten eyewitness news content and appearance discussion. We can debate about TenHD in the TenHD thread. :stuck_out_tongue:

Nicholas, I strongly suspect that the Sky News Rumours are largely just that rumours. There was a post on here in a couple months ago predicting that Sky News was going to take over Ten News completely and gut it… but I strongly suspect it was just rumours. As much as I like Sky News as a News Service, I don’t see them wanting or needing a FTA existence on a network that is struggling afloat. I could be wrong.