Ten News First Content and Appearance (2015-Sept 2020)

a ‘sign’ of things to come?

:joy:

3 Likes

Do ten have a drone?
Phoebe Bowdens report on the second Sydney airport featured her piece to camera using a drone.

The bean counters will probably have it up for sale on Ebay next week.

3 Likes

quite a few camera operators are licensed pilots in their spare time… obviously it was bring your drone to work day…

Yes.
But it’s more a matter of who can fly them. The Casa regulations are very strict. Any video used on air must be supplied by a licensed operator. Otherwise the pilot and company can be fined. Supposedly it’s a big area of focus for authorities

9 Likes

So what is the difference between using footage from a drone and using footage from a chopper? Is it because of the drone’s size and has easier access to certain locations that makes regulation difficult?

because drones are remotely piloted and run on batteries there is a greater risk of failure of the UAV. This means that CASA has tightly regulated the control of drones.

The reason we don’t see much of them in a news gathering capacity are those restrictions - no flying within 30m of people, or over people, no flying over public roads or private property (without consent) and no flying near aerodromes or scenes of crime (where you could present a threat to emergency services aerial work.)

5 Likes

There’s isn’t, which is the point. CASA’s view is that there is actually very little difference which is why they have pushed through such stringent regulations. You wouldn’t allow an unlicensed pilot to fly a chopper while remotely controlling a camera at the same time so why should the same be allowed with a drone? We are just lucky that they have made a distinction between commercial and recreational use which allows the rest of us to fly without training/licensing/log requirements which would be prohibitively expensive.

My understanding is that drones can go anywhere a chopper can go but once they are in restricted airspace (ie above 500ft, within 3 nautical miles of an airfield etc) they have to be in communication with air traffic control and are treated as if they are fully fledged aircraft.

4 Likes

no. they are restricted from those areas. full stop. they also cannot fly over people or property, and cannot fly above 500m. unlike a chopper.

Not true at all. Fully registered operators can apply to CASA for permission to fly in restricted areas but have to make their case and prove that they are equipped to do so safely.

And you absolutely can fly over people and property just not crowded places or within 30m of people/buildings. I have been flying for 18 months and so am aware of the rules.

See that’s what I don’t understand, and yet a helicopter for instance, with a camera crew on board can be filming a car chase or something (near housing) and it’s perfectly legal. Why would someone flying a drone and doing the exact same thing be classified as breaking the law?

Sorry for hijacking this thread, just curiosity got the better of me.

These are not the drone’s you are looking for… Move along.

They can…with the correct permissions.

1 Like

I came across this.

What a disaster for Ten if this comes to fruition.

A whole news division in Australia shut down and run by News Corp.

4 Likes

Remember how the 2UE newsroom was closed down in favour of Macquarie National News a couple of years ago? Times that by five for the effect a possible Ten News closure/Sky News takeover would have on diversity for television news in Australia.

News Corp already has Sky News, news.com.au, The Australian and daily newspapers in most major capital cities. Do we really need a News Corp-operated news service on free to air television? I think not!

4 Likes

I may just be an idiot, but…
Has anyone else released that Ten Eyewitness News can be abbreviated to TEN?
Ten
Eyewitness
News
Lol…

7 Likes

We can make an infinite loop out of this…

• Ten
  • Ten
  • Ten

• Eyewitness

• News

• Eyewitness
  • News
  • Eyewitness
  • News

OT:
The article keeps mentioning “Ten News”, so perhaps they may drop the Eyewitness.

3 Likes

If true, I think this is really positive news overall, stability, a brand renewal and a way forward. I think the resources of all three entities - Ten News - Sky News - Fox Sports - is really strong and may even give Ten the edge over it’s commercial rivals. Their on-air talent pool - particularly in politics - will be the best in the business.

1 Like

I always thought that was the reason they chose the name.

4 Likes

Pretty certain that’s been the intention for a long time, as this title card from 1991 may indicate

13 Likes

That would make sence