Nine Radio (Music)

Vision Australia usually simulcast it on their radio station (3RPH), not sure about other states outside Victoria.

They already cut two hours off Nightline,

Geez that was so sad.

2 Likes

Your sadness at the reduction in Nightline’s airtime almost seems genuine haha

1 Like

Magic Brisbane this morning still filling advertising spots with promotions for advertising with the Magic network - “Brisbane, Sydney and Melbourne, the place to reach Australia’s over forties”.

1 Like

This is typical of businesses who don’t care about their clients, plough on, make a change and then explain afterwards.

I’m looking forward to 882 being put to the sword for music, since it was stripped of its local announcers, it has been a nothing station for many. This begins the next step towards Macquarie selling off these stations at low prices to new investors. It will happen in time, it likely won’t be quick.

2 Likes

I don’t think that’s in their radar yet. These stations are more valuable to them at the moment simply as a way of blocking competitors entering the market. The reluctance in which they sold 2CH demonstrates this.

Unfortunately this is really putting these stations in a position that it will be difficult for them to rate ever again - AM listeners only listen to AM because they are stuck onto their stations, which makes launching a non talk based AM station with no initial listeners very challenging.

I agree to an extent but in the case of Brisbane there is a gap in the market (not including DAB) with no classic hits or smooth format on FM. Hence 4KQ still rates really well on AM/DAB. I think 882 could rate well with a Smooth format on AM/DAB.

4 Likes

That’s true. By memory they weren’t doing too bad until all the Magic changes.

1 Like

Cruise 1323 launched well in Adelaide and that wasn’t too many years ago? So something like a Smooth might work well in Brisbane on AM.

2 Likes

November 2005, to be a bit precise. :slight_smile:

Gosh was it that long ago?? In my head i was only thinking 4 or 5 years. That time has gone very quickly. :older_man:

DAB+ Magic may come.

1 Like

Looks like confirmation of the demise of Magic 1278 (at least) with new “lifestyle” programming from Feb 27.

At least talk won’t sound as horrible as Magic’s gurgly lo-fi DAB+. And deliberately bandwidth limited AM signal.

https://www.radioinfo.com.au/news/magics-melbourne-and-brisbane-go-lifestyle-27th-feb-adam-lang

I wonder if a “deal” has been done between EON (new owners for 2CH) and Macquarie to provide a Magic DAB+ service for Melbourne and Brisbane (essentially Sydney programming with Melbourne or Brisbane ads).

A lot of royalties for starters for no return.

Well, I did suggest there would be local ads, so it might help them sell a few more ad spots eg, placement on 882/1278 AND Magic DAB.

Also hasnt stopped other networks from putting on DAB music only services eg. Buddha, Easy, The 80s, The Edge, ZOO, FUN

2 Likes

Dave Fergunson is filling for Glenn Ridge this week on Magic 1278/882 Breakfast. I find that strange since next week is the last week for Magic. I wonder if Glenn will be back next week for his last week or not

Chris Miller is doing 10am-2pm shift

Glenn would suit the TL format well

He had a regular shift on Macquarie’s failed MTR station so I wouldn’t be surprised to see Macquarie use him again for a Talking Lifestyle shift presented out of Melbourne.

I hope (but doubt) they’ll keep independent breakfast shows.

Surely some shows have to come from either Melbourne or Brisbane?

What happens with compliance when they’re meant to be talking purely about that specific city? At least for now John and Garry talk a bit about Sydney matters.