Take 5 with Zan Rowe

Episode 4

Gold Logie nominated actor Mark Coles Smith shares his journey from rural Australia to fame through five incredible song choices.

Mark Coles Smith made history as the first Indigenous actor to be nominated for a Gold Logie, for his role in Mystery Road: Origin.

However, Mark has done surprisingly few interviews about his story. Growing up in rural Western Australia and moving from town to town this actor, producer and musician has some amazing tales to tell as he shares the songs that bring him back to earth.

At one point in the interview as Zan places a David Bowie record on the player Mark reveals “Funny bit of trivia. Bowie almost became my grandfather-in-law….it was during his time in Australia, he met my grandmother, she was a beautiful young thing at Bangarra Dance Theatre in Sydney. And they had this three-month long romance.”

This episode is full of dancing, laughs, charm, heartbreak and wisdom. From being discovered at 14 to losing his best friend to suicide and the journey in his 20’s to believe in himself, Mark brings five incredible songs to soundtrack his story.

Mark sums up Take 5 beautifully “Everything that I’ve spoken about, it’s kind of the first time in a way. This is why this is such an amazing exercise to be a part of, because you’ve literally asked me about things that are deeply meaningful to me and that I care about. These are songs that kind of held chapters of my life so far, my journey.”

1 Like

Extended preview of episode 1

1 Like

Episode 5

Tuesday 14 November 8.00pm

Lin-Manuel Miranda is a master storyteller. As the creator and star of the smash hit Hamilton, he brought musical theatre to a whole new audience. So, what are the 5 songs that tell his story.

Lin-Manuel Miranda is a master storyteller. As the creator and star of the smash hit Hamilton, he brought musical theatre to a whole new audience.

Lin-Manuel brings energy to this Take 5 that only a theatre kid could muster. In this episode you will see him belting out lyrics and teaching Zan to salsa. But it quickly becomes apparent that he has come to this conversation at a crossroads in life.

He reveals the story of his relationship with the late Stephen Sondheim, one of the most important figures of 20th century musical theatre.

Lin-Manuel opens up about a chance meeting with Sondheim in his younger days telling him he was writing a musical about Alexander Hamilton. From that day on, Lin would often go to Sondheim for advice. When he passed away towards the end of 2021 the world lost an artist, but Lin-Manuel lost a mentor and friend. As he plays Zan the Sondheim song ‘Move On’ he chokes back tears as he sings along.

In the last few years, Lin-Manuel has been writing chart topping hits that have redefined Disney for a new generation. His revolutionary approach has awarded him Tonys, Grammys, Emmys, and a Pulitzer.

This episode is a masterclass in music, the power of having someone believe in you, and in working hard to share your talent, whatever that may be, with the world.

Production credit: Take 5 is an ABC Production. Created, Hosted and Written by Zan Rowe. Executive Producer, Nikita Agzarian. Series Producer, Josh Schmidt. Director/DOP, Aaron Smith ACS. Producers Zan Rowe, Phoebe Bennett and Tania Doumit.

1 Like

Episode 5

gflip

Tuesday 7 November 8.00pm

“I was in my bedroom crying… holy shit… I think this is going to work. I think my life is about to change.”

G Flip wasn’t wrong. Spotted on Unearthed and then played on triple j was a dream year in the making. And over 200 million streams and a hit second album later, G Flip is taking on the world.

Since they were a little kid, G Flip’s determination has been the centre of their universe. In their Take 5, we hear the music that propelled them forward. Because G didn’t just step into the industry, they bashed the door down and graffitied ‘G Flip’ on the glass ceiling.

G writes queer love songs, non-binary anthems and straight up bangers making them a role model for people all over the world. Their current album has songs dedicated to their wife, something G only dreamed of when writing secret love songs in their room as a kid.

It’s impossible not to love G. They are honest, vibrant and wear their heart on their sleeve. G tears up when telling Zan about their first drum teacher who taught G the unique skills of being able to drum and sing at the same time. “She passed away. But every show I play, there’s a moment where I look up, and I’m like, “I know you’d be stoked with this.”

Through five songs that show G’s insatiable drive and love of drumming, we hear stories about what it takes to make it in music and to succeed in the journey to being 100 percent yourself.

Production credit: Take 5 is an ABC Production. Created, Hosted and Written by Zan Rowe. Executive Producer, Nikita Agzarian. Series Producer, Josh Schmidt. Director/DOP, Aaron Smith ACS. Producers Zan Rowe, Phoebe Bennett and Tania Doumit.

Preview

1 Like

Season 3

Take 5 with Zan Rowe is back on ABC TV and ABC iview, following two critically acclaimed seasons. Music is memory. Hearing a song can take you back to a place, a feeling, singular time in your life. It unlocks us and has the power to reunite us.

You can learn a lot about someone from their mixtape. Join Zan Rowe as she asks extraordinary people to share the 5 songs that made them who they are today.

Come along for the journey, and let’s Take 5! ABOUT TAKE 5

Take 5 is Zan Rowe’s popular award-winning Double J radio segment and podcast turned critically acclaimed television series. Across six episodes, renowned figures in music and screen join Zan to delve into some of the most personal moments of their lives. They share five songs that have soundtracked their journey through life and invite us to think about our own.

PRODUCTION CREDITS

Take 5 is an ABC Production. Created, Hosted and Written by Zan Rowe. Executive Producer Nikita Agzarian. Series Producer Josh Schmidt.

Director/DOP Aaron Smith ACS. Producers Zan Rowe, Phoebe Bennett and Tania Doumit. ABC Head Arts, Music and Events Kath Earle.

1 Like

Premiere Special

Tuesday 19 December 8:00 PM

You can learn a lot about someone from their mixtape. Icons in music and screen join Zan Rowe to delve deep into intimate moments in their lives, sharing songs that have made them who they are today.

1 Like