Supermarkets and Retail

It’s already been invented. It’s called lifting from the top/side of the basket with your finger between it and the next one.

4 Likes

There is something wrong with me then. I can never simply get the one shopping basket to easily come out of the stack.

I shake. I bang. I swear under my breath. I move to the next stack. Repeat.

I take a green bag with me.

I share your frustration.

It never used to be a problem but they now use flimsy lightweight plastic baskets and stack them ridiculously high to help save on staffing costs.

2 Likes

Exactly. And it means your first experience in the the supermarket is one of frustration.

2 Likes

I’ve been inside the Beresfield one - it’s near one of the schools I applied to do casual work at. It’s dingy. Suprised it’s not been sold off or closed down and demolished.

1 Like

I remember both of those - actually all three.

Scone Bi-Lo, when it was Shoeys, was in the Campbell’s Corner building. IIRC, the Campbell family sold to Shoeys - they were the local department store for the Upper Hunter, as there are other Campbells Corners/Buildings around the place. It then moved to a then newly built “shopping centre” (or was it a “village”), but it was small. The main entrance forced you through a very narrow fruit and veg section, then through to the frozen and meat section before you could go to any other aisle. Unless you could get through the front.

In the early 2000’s (I think, if not before), the surrounding businesses were sold, an old fruit and veg shop was closed after the guy retired, Scone Toyota was moved elsewhere but not immediately, and Potter Macqueen (???) actually had their building moved elsewhere to become a charming private residence. This lead to a much needed expansion, you could actually move around! It also had a lolly counter too at one stage but that was removed. Huey was at the grand opening IIRC. A few years later, Bi-Lo became Coles and the centre was expanded again. When I’m back home it’s my preferred supermarket.

Muswellbrook and Singleton had Franklins too. Muswellbrook’s Franklins became a Super IGA, and Singleton’s became the 2nd Ritchies Super IGA in town - there was one in the Town Plaza, but I think it may have been closed down in 2014. The one in the Town Plaza was very ratty. I used to do merchandise and compliance checks for IGA/Metcash and there was a world of difference between the Town Plaza and the bigger one (ex-Franklins). Muswellbrook’s Super IGA blitzed it though. The manager was super friendly and easy to talk to.

This is the first time I hear of Hoyts Kiosk being sold off.
There was a Hoyts kiosk machine outside the Springvale Road entrance to The Glen (close to Woolworths) for around 3-4 years and was removed last year to make way for the redevelopment of the shopping centre. I used the machine once to recent a movie in 2016. With this deal I doubt a video rental machine will return to The Glen.

Are there really that many people who still hire DVDs?

You would think so, especially in rural towns where slow internet speed makes it hard to stream movies online.

1 Like

I do from time to time. If it’s related to work, I claim it back on tax. :wink:

And there’d be a lot of stuff not available online or on Blu-Ray.

OfficeWorks has opened up in Perth city, in Hay Street, right near the MyGov store. Not sure how long it’s been there, but I haven’t been to town for yonks. (three months) It’s fairly small. Went to check out some stock, didn’t have much, especially in terms of covers for my Samsung Galaxy S2, only had ipad covers in the covers section.

I’ll have to take a proper browse next week, but the staff are very friendly though.

What?

Ugh that sounds so fucking boring

5 Likes

Theres a mygov place where centrelink clients can go and get help with their my gov accounts. It’s been there for a couple years, lol there’s always a crowd in there when I used to go passed it!.

1 Like

Opened in November.

Been there a couple months, replacing the JR duty free in the existing location. Surprised they didn’t take the old (still vacant) Dick Smith flagship location to be honest as that would be quite a bit bigger (albeit probably higher rent to go with it).

2 Likes

Replaced the Armani store didnt it? JR just closed recently, nothing in there yet.

My bad, guess I got those mixed up.

1 Like