Supermarkets and Retail

And desalination also has environmental impacts itself.

https://www.environment.gov.au/topics/science-and-research/state-environment-reporting/soe-2006-desalination

Tonightā€™s Flashback was about supermarket technology.

2 Likes

How is a Flashback news? They should call it Olds. :stuck_out_tongue_winking_eye:

1 Like

The 0.42 mark of that clipā€¦Chris Allen (current senior reporter for ACA) reporting for Brisbaneā€™s Seven National News back in 1981?! If so, wow heā€™s been around for a long time!

1 Like

Yes, which is my point - primary concern is $.

That wasnā€™t the reasoning behind introducing the ban, though. It is flimsy reasoning in any case, and the sort of ā€œlessonā€ that children should (and are) taught in primary school - taxpayers fund our Water Corporation and that should mean being able to access water when needed (just as we access electricity or gas) - they donā€™t need a blunt instrument such as a ban to change their behaviour. Imagine if electricity was ā€œrosteredā€ or ā€œbannedā€. Itā€™s not about excessive use at all either - for example, the staggered rostered watering days mean home and market vegetable gardening is not as viable as it once was, which prefer smaller amounts of consistent watering rather than excessive amounts each few days.

Itā€™s been running for 17 years, throughout some winters particularly which have been cold and wet - the only reason it stays is because ā€œdam levelsā€ arenā€™t replenishing as quickly as before, even though dam water plays a much more minor role in our water needs.

We accept the imposition of the 15c charge will change consumer behaviour and they wonā€™t be wasteful with Woolies bags - why not accept the fact water charges also means consumers donā€™t use water in the wasteful manner you suggest?

Desalination has been used for years in Perth now, with multiple facilities operating.

I recognised that voice as well.

It is a long standing part of Sevenā€™s very popular Sunday bulletin. I think a look back over past news isnā€™t a bad feature once a week.

1 Like

Fluff like this is why Iā€™ve stopped watching these evening news bulletins.

1 Like

I heard on ABC Radio over the weekend that paper bags are actually worse for the environment than plastic ones, in terms of environmental impact - mostly coming from the logging, processing and transport phases (e.g. they are 7 times heavier than an equivalent plastic bag and hence require more fuel to transport).

When I worked at Woolworths Online, we went through boxes upon boxes of these bloody plastic bags. It was incredible how much we used (obscene, even), and management began cracking down on bag use because there was an absolutely insane amount of waste. The loose, unused bags (usually stacks of <10 bags which were thin enough to break off the bag holders, as well as loose bags found at the bottom of totes) filled a trolley or two every night, but no one wanted to use them because it slowed us down. When I began there, we were allowed to fill totes (those crates they deliver your shopping in) with two bags prior to setting off for a trip, which would allow us to just put the stuff in the bags and keep the pick rate high. However, eventually the managers made us bag the shopping as we went.

Occasionally use Coles online, Iā€™d be happy to have my groceries loose in the crate rather than one or two to a bag, often firmly tied so the bag needs to be ripped open.

1 Like

The lights are still on at the old Masters, Majura Park, Canberra Airport.

https://scontent-syd2-1.xx.fbcdn.net/v/t31.0-8/fr/cp0/e15/q65/20232651_10209672340829837_4636443327961578335_o.jpg?efg=eyJpIjoidCJ9&oh=1c1923a87f2b8224faa4dc92bbd78ac5&oe=59F743AE

11 Likes

How odd. All Masterā€™s stores Iā€™ve seen removed all Masters signage the same or next day the store closed.

10 Likes

Itā€™s like the ā€œSafewayā€ signs still up near my local store (AKA Woolworths) :roll_eyes:

9 years since the VIC change-overā€¦

4 Likes

The old Masters site near me is now up for sale or lease. Will be interesting to see youā€™ll buy it and what will go in its place

2 Likes

Bunnings.

2 Likes

I doubt it. Thereā€™s two of them within 5-10 minutes of me

2 Likes

Bunnings are apparently taking over that one, and closing their nearby Fyshwick store (which is a smaller, ex-Hardware House site)

2 Likes

Thatā€™s good. The current Fyshwick store is way too small and thereā€™s not enough parking.

1 Like

Does anybody know how long it usually takes Bunnings to convert an old site? Or is it truly a how long is a piece of string thing?
K&D Warehouse - a Tassie company opened in Devonport with Harvey Norman and spending millions on the site only around 3 years ago but then closed their site in March after Bunnings bought them out and work started straight away but still looks like itā€™s going to take a while.

1 Like

Same thing is happening to the Shellharbour City store- moving to the failed Masters store a few kilometres west in Albion Park from their current site, a former Hardware House. Iā€™d love to know whatā€™s happening to the old location. Itā€™s close to a major shopping centre and down the road from the new council administration building currently being constructed. Should be a prime location for a new retailer. Could be a good location for a Costco.

That new council building is coming along. Canā€™t believe they started constructing it when the NSW government were planning forced council amalgamations. The locals must be breathing a sigh of relief the government came to their senses. Feeling old considering that whole Shellharbour City precinct didnā€™t exist when I was growing up in the area- just open paddocks and grazing cows.

Astounded to learn that Woolworths will also be opening yet another store in that small local government area (in the Shell Cove Marina precinct) bringing the total to five. There was one major supermarket in that area 30 or so years ago.

Doubt it. The old Masters site would have been a much better location for a Costco, although probably still not quite up to their specifications.