Supermarkets and Retail

“Won’t Somebody Please Think Of The Children?” :joy:

3 Likes

It blows my mind that even people working in supermarkets will still argue about this - regarding the hot cross buns, they wouldn’t put them out if they didn’t sell, regarding the back to school, they have a seasonal aisle that can’t just stay empty.

7 Likes

Meanwhile, the Boxing Day Sale start online Thursday at Big W but they started sending out promos today, one week early. :joy:

1 Like

Per the Ampol Linkedin, all ‘Old’ Caltex to Ampol conversions are now completed with Site 1845 completed last Thursday.

I suspect it won’t be too long before the final EG conversions (e.g removal of the Caltex boxes with Ampol branded boxes) and in some cases simultaneously replacing the big Woolworths sign with a big EG branded sign is completed for the year.

1 Like

Harris Scarfe has been running some kind of Boxing Day sale since 10 Dec apparently

I am waiting for the Harris Scarfe 100% off sale. Marking up own branded stock in that ad by stupid amounts then marketing it as some form of deal is a scam. I would be interested to see how the P&L works in that joint. Certainly is a business not known for profitability.

In another news, David Jones has been flogged off to Private Equity. I wonder how long that will last.

2 Likes

Hopefully Anchorage capital will bring joy to DJs with the return of the chain’s former glory. Like what Spotlight has done with Harris Scarfe, new DJs Stores in coming years.

Nah I highly doubt it.

Strip out the costs, flog it off to some poor soul in a few years, it will be dead by mid this decade. Watch this space.

1 Like

Well Myer are still cutting stores, and their performance has turned the corner this year.

1 Like

Their suburban flagships need renovations and some work like Bondi Junction, hasn’t been touched in years!

2 Likes

I thought that was chadstone? Looked pretty good last time.

Haven’t been to Chadstone, but the Bondi Junction store looks quite tired. I wonder how worse off Burwood and Chatswood Chase look…

Anchorage? I expect them to pump and dump it just like they did with Dick Smith.

“The Anchorage team will work closely with CEO Scott Fyfe and the talented David Jones management team on the next phase of its transformation," a spokesperson from the private equity firm said.

Find me a private equity takeover that held its management team. Mr Fyfe will be out by the end of the financial year. Just how the private equity merry go round works.

I wonder how much debt they will load it up with.

Went looking for some of that hallucinogenic spinach today but it seemed to be all sold out.

6 Likes

Sold out? Or just recalled?

1 Like

whoosh

5 Likes

They should bring in limits, saw someone buy 50 bags of baby spinach.

1 Like