Supermarkets and Retail

Here in Perth, I spotted a Action Supermarkets Security Notice still being used at the Supa IGA it replaced! The IGA logo had been pasted over the Action logo during the conversion, but the “A” icon can still be clearly seen :wink:

6 Likes

I believe that’s the plan. They’ll close when the leases expire.

I was reading an article earlier today that mentioned that around 44 stores are company owned (including Magnet Mart). 350 or so are franchises.

Felt your pain a few months back. Purchasing an electric Screwdriver cut assembly time down by a huge amount (purchased after my partner couldn’t assemble any more by hand as all the assembly/use of the Allen keys has given him welts on his fingers!)

Yes - the Fixa electric screwdriver is a must get (or any electric screwdriver) if you’re working with Ikea gear. Also, if you can get your hands on a drill bit kit, even better.

I see…I’m sure those stores will be purchased by someone…you’d hope.

Woolworths is closing four Thomas Dux grocery stores in Sydney and Melbourne: article
I read somewhere that Thomas Dux at the north end of The Glen in Glen Waverley will shut its doors in April. (Woolworths supermarket is located at the south end)
I have been to Thomas Dux 2-3 times last year and it is fairly quiet. It has a good range of groceries that you won’t find at supermarkets but with marked up prices.

Today Aldi open the first of four Supermarkets in SA. One of these are located near my house so I’m quite happy but I’ll be awaiting until next week to visit as to allow all the crazies to visit first.

2 Likes

Go the weeknights if you can, Alan. Maybe a Wednesday so that you can check out the mid week specials. Weekends and daytimes at Aldi are nuts.

1 Like

Basically, don’t go in when the new catalogues go on sale, especially if it’s a decent product on sale. Avoid Wednesday and Saturday mornings.

Went to the one at Parafield Gardens today. Still big queues outside lol. The novelty should hopefully wear off next week. Then I might go back

1 Like

Me confused :slightly_smiling:

1 Like

It’s when they immediately open and anyone after the stuff in the middle sections goes there and clogs the lines. Well they do at my local Aldi.

1 Like

@ElCapitanCranky same thing happens here in Melbourne on Wednesday and Saturday mornings.
I once went on a Saturday morning many years ago bloody crazy.Especially if electrical products are on sale.

I have to say I bought a fairly cheap PVR from Aldi back in 2008. I didn’t expect it to last all that long, to be honest, but it’s still working a treat. It’s not HD or MPEG4 though so it misses those channels but so far that’s little issue.

Some of the Aldi stuff is good stuff. Their compression gear is very good, along with some of the Bauhn stuff as well.

Went to go to Aldi today and still a long line up. Don’t people in Adelaide have anything better to do with their time. It was like that for weeks when Krispy Kreme opened…its like people here don’t know what a doughnut or a supermarket look like.

[quote=“AlanCramer, post:56, topic:167, full:true”]
Went to go to Aldi today and still a long line up. Don’t people in Adelaide have anything better to do with their time. It was like that for weeks when Krispy Kreme opened…its like people here don’t know what a doughnut or a supermarket look like. [/quote]
Didn’t you have anything better to do? :stuck_out_tongue:

1 Like

It’ll be interesting to see what its like here in Perth - they are opening with about 20 stores here rather then just 4 like they are in SA. However, those stores are very unevenly distributed (and about 5 of those are on either the rural outskirts of Perth or in the South West - e.g Bunbury/Busselton, then about 10 in the Southern Suburbs and only about 3 in the Northern Suburbs) so I think some will be bursting at the seams for a considerable period of time, and others will slow to a normal pace pretty quick.

They are going to be opening more in SA… These are just the first four sites that were fully ready. I imagine they may so something similar in WA.

Nope :stuck_out_tongue: actually I wanted to do my grocery shop there like I used to when I lived in Orange NSW. That’ll have to wait until the fanfare dies down.