Supermarkets and Retail

In WA the brand covers far too many different types of supermarkets to generalise. Anything from the run down ghetto supermarkets that have Health Department complaints on the register for selling stuff after use by to brand new, flashy, ultra gourmet 24/7 full line supermarkets with enormous deli’s and hot food buffets.

2 Likes

The Romeos’ IGA at Summer Hill has pretty average fruit and veges and it looks run down. It does, however, have the nicest staff of any supermarket I have ever visited.

I love going to the supermarket and doing the weekly shop. It is one of the benefits of living in a wealthy nation. I get to choose my fresh food and supplies. It makes me appreciative of living in Australia. Such abundance.

That’s why I only shop at Coles or Woolworths. IGA stores are often run down and Aldi reminds me of what life must have been like in the former Soviet Union. In all honesty IGA and Aldi depress me.

If the staff at IGA in Summer Hill were moved to a Coles or Woolies it would be supermarket heaven.

4 Likes

One thing IGA has that I’ve never seen in Woolworths and Coles is Vili’s pies. They need unique products and brands to get people into their stores. Works for me, I get my Vili’s pies and end up doing a half shop.

2 Likes

Coles have Garlo’s Pies, as does McDonald’s in the ACT, Queanbeyan & Sutton Forest.

These comments remind me of when we introduced Internet Banking back in the day. People didn’t want it as they didn’t want people to lose their jobs either.

Yep I like popping into the local IGA every now and then just to see some of the different brands they have. Luckily I have one less than 5 mins walk away so will occasionally pop in just to get a drink or a snack on the way home but always look around for the random things you find there. It changes a lot too. One of the things that I recently discovered at the one in Malvern was this really cool low carb protein bread which was amazing and I’ve never seen it anywhere else.

The latest expansion to Chadstone shopping centre must be so big it warrants Seven News to send a reporter and cameraman to go there and film a report. It will be shown during the 6pm bulletin tomorrow (Thursday) night.

It usually happens during daytime but not in the evening.

How else will they fill up one hour of dumbed down news? :stuck_out_tongue:

Who cares about cities being bombed to smithereens in the Middle East, famine in Africa, hurricane destruction in the Caribbean, economic woes in China and Europe? Let’s do an in depth report on wealthy and privileged in Australia getting a bigger shopping centre than ever.

3 Likes

Do those places still exist?

You wouldn’t know it if you only watched the evening news bulletins in Australia but I bet everybody could tell you about the latest shops opening, apartment developments being built and where the cheapest petrol is. :stuck_out_tongue:

2 Likes

What’s that got to do with anything? It’s called local News. The Chadstone upgrade is very relevant to Melbourne and what viewers would be wanting to see.

I’m hoping to head down there over the weekend but avoiding it like the plague on opening night.

1 Like

Really? So National Nine News is a shonky title then because it’s really only Nine Local News?

I rest my case. #fomo

The biggest shopping centre in Australia launching is possibly national news too, however we are talking about SEVEN News. I don’t see NATIONAL in that title and I definitely don’t see WORLD NEWS in either of them.

It’s my local shopping centre that we’ve suffered half the place being blocked off for well over a year. Of course I’m going to head down there.

Of course SBS & ABC care ! :stuck_out_tongue:

This thread is really going off topic.

OK. Fair enough but it goes to show how sad the evening news bulletins are these days in Australia.

Good on you, mate. What else can I say. Shop till you drop.

And yet you’re Seven’s biggest cheerleader, even though others have been highlighting their substandard broadcasting for years. Go figure.

It just proves that it’s all in your mind. Seven wins the ratings so they are most popular. It doesn’t mean it’s necessarily the best. I usually just making the observations and try to explain why Seven is winning. I praise and criticise all the networks. It’s your bias which is seeing things that aren’t there.

The evening news services having stories about shopping centres and supermarkets opening is not quality news.

major retailers in Queensland will be able to open 7am to 9pm Monday to Saturday from december in new reforms announced today.

it’s a win i guess but i think the government needs to get out of the way on trading hours and completely deregulate them (and also allow pharmacies and liquor stores in supermarkets)

Pharmacies in Coles or Woolworths? No thanks!

Coles and Woolies long abandoned in-store pharmacies, they no longer include space in new fitouts like they did 15-20 years ago to be able to include a Pharmacy overnight if the legislation changes. With Liquor I think the format that most of Australia has (Liquor store attached to Supermarket with separate entrance) is just fine - I’d prefer loosening of laws so that convenience stores can sell beer/wine before supermarkets having it on the shelf.

Glad to hear that they’re including Saturdays in that 7am-9pm ruling - that’s the one day we sorely lack in Perth and it’s a major pain in the ass that general retail closes at 5pm on a Saturday - causes chaos in supermarkets every week near closing time.

4 Likes