Supermarkets and Retail

Has anybody heard shopping centres play any Christmas songs yet? LOL

Already started seeing Christmas food stuffs in early September

Hoping to see those Arnott’s Shapes shaped like little Christmas trees too. They were a Woolworths exclusive

Except 5pm closes limits the ability of teeneagers/uni students to do part time work after hours. I couldn’t imagine supermarkets closing at 5pm. If I’m ever home on a Friday or Saturday night that’s when I will do my grocery shopping as it’s so much easier when the store is basically empty and I can’t tolerate the craziness of supermarkets on the weekend especially a Sunday.

On another note - I had a look at the new Chadstone on the weekend and it was very impressive. The new food court is huge and similar style to that of the Emporium. Every food place trying to look very prestigious even places like Maccas, Sumo Salad and Boost Juice are the most fancy stores of theirs I’ve ever seen. Although there are sooo man new food places in there I do wonder how a lot of those will sustain themselves on non-busy days as it seems like an overload of food options now. Weekends they would be fine but during the week it seems like it would be a big overload. Overall the new areas of the shopping centre are impressive and looks very modern. Lots of fancy restaurants opening at the cinemas too.

No. Merch is usually late September/early October.
Stores getting into ‘Christmas Mode’ is usually late November.

Just hope they’re the original flavour and not that grotty “new and improved” crap…

4 Likes

Do they taste like Spruce or Pine? :stuck_out_tongue_closed_eyes:

28 posts were split to a new topic: A TAB thread, for some reason.

A nearby Coles at Wynnum Plaza in Brisbane is getting a makeover a the moment. So far, a new bakery, deli area and different layout. The most notable change is they seem to have removed the highest shelf making the store look a lot brighter and bigger. All new trolleys as well (yeh!) Grand opening is apparently next Wednesday.

2 Likes

4 posts were split to a new topic: Lukemovieman’s Business Insider

Used new software for Coles self checkouts today. Much cleaner interface and did seem somewhat easier to use - although I didn’t actually find the old one hard.

2 Likes

Could you get a pick eventually if possible?

Shouldn’t be too hard to find over here in Perth, both my local Coles (Inglewood, Maylands) have had it for a couple weeks now.

1 Like

Kmart opened its doors this morning. Not going to tempt to visit the place until the crowds die down a bit

It’s just a Kmart. Are people really going that crazy over it?

1 Like

Judging by a few pics I saw yesterday, yes they’re. Looks like you couldn’t even move in the store. They probably think they’ll get specials as it’s a new store. Mind you there’s about two other stores located within 10-15 minutes of each other.

:laughing: That’s mob mentality at its best.

Are you sure that’s not just because the Nintendo Classic Mini was released? Apparently most gaming stores sold out on pre-orders so heaps of people flooded Kmart/Target/Big Ws to get them before they sold out and it got pretty crazy in a lot of stores.

Although I do remember when Big W first opened at a shopping centre near my parents place a number of years ago (Waverley Gardens) the opening day people went pretty crazy for it as well. I just don’t understand it. It’s a pretty basic department store, they all sell the same things and they are everywhere.

Aldi’s arch rival Schwarz Group eyes Australian expansion with Kaufland chain

Australians could be set for more international competition in the retail sector, with Aldi’s arch rival Schwarz Group taking steps to set up Down Under.

Fairfax Media can reveal that the giant retail group let up by German billionaire Dieter Schwarz recently sought to trademark the word “Kaufland” in Australia.

Kaufland is a “hypermarket”, or a one-stop-shop selling groceries and general merchandise such as bikes and car maintenance supplies. Known for its aggressive pricing, it sells brands and its own discount label.

Wasn’t Lidl supposed to be coming soon?

Same company.

Kmart got out of gaming a while back.