Supermarkets and Retail

1 Like

Heaps of Disposable gloves, hand sanitiser, spray disinfectants etc at my local woolies including the normal Woolworths brand hand sanitiser which is big and only $3.50.

2 Likes

Woolworths may have to get rid of the toilet paper limit soon to start moving stock I think.

1 Like

I’d like some of the different brands and sizes to return

2 Likes

Me too. I usually buy the Quillton Triple Length from Woolworths but I haven’t seen it since mid February.

It’s gone.

3 Likes

Good. The 1 pack limit signs were still up for toilet paper at my local Woolworths this afternoon. And the shelves were all full, but there were only three lines available.

1 Like

Still have next to no toilet paper at my local Coles :grimacing:

2 Likes

3XL US = 7XL in Australia

I actually have a 9XL shirt sitting in a cupboard. A good muumuu for a regular person.

2 Likes

Big W store’s shock sudden closure:

2 Likes

It goes both ways. In many regional towns that often means only one pharmacy can operate there, with no competitors allowed, thus the cost of medicines is higher.

2 Likes

Though the federal Health minister can override the rules. In the newish suburb of Coombs in the ACT the territory planning rules for the still near empty shopping centre and the federal pharmacy location rules meant it was legally impossible to have a chemist in the shopping centre or nearby health and well being centre. A lobbying campaign from the Capital Chemist group eventually succeed with the federal Health minister granting an exemption to allow a chemist in the health and well being centre, that also has a medical centre, gym and childcare centre.

1 Like

Well not really shock they did announce they were shutting 30 stores within 3 years. So they have 2 years to close the rest. They did say they would give 3 months notice, so they have 20 odd months to go. That’s not much time for 26 stores to get the axe. I assume those stores ‘on the list’ will probably get cut during this virus if they are trading down. Why bother continuing? From memory Woolworths have already recorded the impairment against the store closures.

I reckon they will announce a lot more in the next month or two.

1 Like

4 Likes

Melbourne’s third Coles Local store opened at Hawthorn yesterday. Located near Glenferrie railway station and Glenferrie Road shopping precinct, it was converted from a Coles supermarket, and features the first ice cream bar for dogs, an extensive vegan and vegetarian range, Japanese mochi ice cream, self-serve barista-quality coffee from DC coffee roasters, a candy bar, and more than 350 meals that can be prepared in 30 minutes or less. It is also the first retail outlet to sell treats from Melbourne patisserie Brunetti.

2 Likes

Is that similar to the drive-thru coffee machines at McDonald’s?

2 Likes

Do they use the same type of coffee machine?

I chuckle every time I hear the ad for Hungry Jack’s “Jack’s Cafe” touting Drive-thru barista-quality coffee

2 Likes

Isn’t it literally just a fancy automatic espresso machine, as opposed to the regular dishwater espresso machines they have?

3 Likes

I really wish companies would take the time to spell check the names of their locations - Devonport, Davenport make boxer shorts. Just checked their website too with the store finder to make sure it wasn’t meant to be another location. Nope, they meant the Tassie one - they also get the address wrong on there too with “Rook” instead of “Rooke Street”. I know most people don’t care but to me it’s really unprofessional when a business can’t get simple things like that, especially when they’re trying to get shoppers but clearly don’t give a toss to even get your town name correct.

4 Likes