Super Radio Network

Interesting to hear the Super Network stations run on a holiday/weekend schedule today (with announcers doing 6am-12pm and 12pm-6pm).

I thought Bill would’ve treated today like a regular day.

2 Likes

Today felt a lot like a public holiday outside… the streets were pretty quiet, not the usual weekday volume of traffic.

2 Likes

Nope everyone in the network was given the day off so they could all have a 4 day long weekend

3 Likes

Not completely accurate, Stations were told they could make the decision locally. In my part of the world it was Buisness as usual at Tamworth & Moree

3 Likes

Has always been like this. Over 2021 and part of 2022 it was the same two announcers doing the public holiday schedule

1 Like

I seem to recall they were also defaulting to a 6-day long weekend over Easter (again, local requirements aside, it sounds like); there was an article about it a few weeks earlier that might’ve been posted in this thread (thanks for the reminder of that!).

edit: Meh, I was getting it confused with ACM who had done a similar four day weekend over Anzac Day, never mind

Interesting :thinking:

1 Like

92.9 Tamworth turns 30 today

3 Likes

As I posted further above, there were Happy Birthday messages on 92.9 as far back as 19th April.

Interesting that they started the messages so early if their birthday wasn’t until today.

But Happy Birthday again to FM92.9!

4 Likes

1 May 1993 at 9:29 AM

3 Likes

Nice to see a BOG station embrace its history, whilst keeping fresh and relevant at present.

92.9 is a brilliant example of where regional radio needs to be. Locally programmed, with a majorly local playlist. Well done to all at the station for continuing to keep it this way.

5 Likes

And apparently they’re celebrating in Chinese! :laughing:

3 Likes

SRN 92.9’s website is one of the best radio websites I have looked at recently.

SRN has had a bit of bad press on here about some of its websites but that one looks very good.

Obviously some stations have local web expertise and others not - Tamworth’s looks like a WIX site from the source html.

2 Likes

Thanks for the feedback.

We started the birthday sweepers in late March when we began our Countdown to 30, where we played a whole day of music from a select year of our 30 years (working our way backwards from 2022 and finishing on 1993 today - our 30th anniversary).

The sweeper mentionec for Tamworth City Council must have been mis-heard, as we dont have TRC doing a sweeper… although maybe we should have!

Thanks for the positive comments on our station and the programming. Really appreciate it.

If you head over to the 92.9 website, you will find a link to the 30th anniversary podcast we did - chatting with former staff from the station. I think many of the members of this forum will get some enjoyment out of it.

Cheers,
JB

5 Likes

how is it that a town like Tamworth still only has one commercial FM?

1 Like

Was there interest in establshing a second FM station in the market? Like, ever?

1 Like

i would have thought the market would have been large enough to at least invite interest in another player?

1 Like

It’s not unusual for the area - Armidale, Inverell, Moree, Warwick, Toowoomba - all with one commercial FM. (I think off the top of my head).

2 Likes

Did the ABA ever invite an interested party to start a independent FM station? Or did Carillion and/or BOG put enough pressure on the ABA not to invite new applicants?

I think that’s why 92.9 briefly rebranded to OneFM. It was around the time when SCA regionally was at its strongest and they probably thought Tamworth would get a Hit station there - so OneFM (as in, "there is only ONE) was their way of blocking anyone else coming to town.

I think there might be a bit of an overlap regardless in Tamworth from sister stations NowFM and Triple G, all of which fortunately have differing daytime playlists (92.9 & NowFM run their own local workday logs, whilst Triple G takes the NewFM network log). So BOG pretty much runs that town between 92.9/2TM/Triple G/2MO/NowFM/2VM… and who knows if 2AD Armidale might even be picked up at night time in the region…?

Plus Tamworth also has its community radio station which from what I can see looks to be running quite a commercial strategy/schedule.

But still - more competition would only be a good thing if ACMA ever allowed it in Tamworth.