Stadia

John Burns called it a month ago on 3AW Breakfast

1 Like

I could not believe it when I heard on 3AW this morning.

I have been trying to find this topic to post about the constant arguments about stadium redevelopments in the Sydney area (ANZ Stadium v Allianz Stadium).

I spat out my morning latte.

What a joke eh?

No morning Peroni or Penfolds?

2 Likes

Nein

I would have thought they would get more mileage out of using Disney Stadium as the new name.

Not everyone is going to realise that the Marvel in the name is for Marvel Comics.

1 Like

My theory, and it may be wrong, is that calling it Disney Stadium would make it sound too much like a Disney owned property (Disneyland, Disney World, Disney Channel), so they’ve used one of their properties to take on the naming rights. Good branding opportunity for Marvel.

5 Likes

Immediate thought that came to my mind too this morning, by the sounds of it probably everybody else too.

So On Air is right, must be a very good reason why such a giant, iconic global name like Disney wasn’t used. Is still a huge coup though.

Does the AFL actually own Docklands Stadium yet?

Yes the AFL bought the stadium outright in October 2016.

1 Like

Are you sure it wasn’t 2017? Didn’t think it’d have been that long already.

Probably explains the number of games played there compared to the MCG?

I hear some reports that the Gabba will be refurbished in the future depending on the approval. Cricket and Brisbane Lions AFL games will have to be played at other venues.

1 Like

The October 2016 date comes from this article at the AFL website.

2 Likes

Doesn’t sound like there will be any increase to capacity.

Australia’s 3rd largest city of over 2 mil people needs a cricket venue capable of hosting 60K plus people to future proof it.

New entrances and terraces are nice but in their own are unlikely to put Brisbane back up in the Test cricket pecking order.

Yep. https://etihadstadium.com.au/corporate-structure/

However, today’s news refers to Melbourne Stadiums Limited and its CEO so perhaps they’re dragging their feet in the transfer.

1 Like

The biggest problem with the Gabba is that unless they acquire the school to the left hand end for footy, it’s basically landlocked. Increasing capacity is impossible and in reality probably not going to be cost effective if the ground only will get close to being full for 2-3 domestic 20 over games a year.

2 Likes

I guess the advantage that MEL, ADL and PER have over SYD and BNE in the stadium battle is that they’ve only really got to cater for the oval/round shape configuration in terms of having a major sporting venue.

The NRL and ARU don’t seem to mind taking Origin or Wallabies Test matches to those shaped grounds in the southern states, but SYD and BNE spectators would complain about being forced to watch those games on oval shaped grounds because they say they are too far away from the action - hence the Sydney Olympic Stadium redevelopment. And whilst there’s enough league and union games to warrant sizable rectangular grounds in those cities, but they’ve also got to cater for cricket and the AFL too.

2 Likes

The naming rights of The Gabba in Brisbane is up for sale for $2 million a year. It is one of the key proposals of 19 recommendations contained in a report into Stadiums Queensland by independent consultant John Lee, to be presented to the Queensland Government this month.
https://www.couriermail.com.au/news/queensland/stadiums-queensland-could-sell-gabba-naming-rights-to-sponsor/news-story/f32d802acb1f19be3a4bf1e743f08b09?nk=5ad1ade04fe662e48af433e49af91710-1531613698

1 Like

Two posts, 3 years apart, no naming rights interested?