Stadia

4 Likes

Yeah me too. It’s such a constricted site I’m wondering if they’re considering putting either Vulture or Stanley streets underground below the stadium. The current Gabba already overhangs both roads.

3 Likes

the bigger advantage for Brisbane will be Brisbane Live, which will hopefully replace the Brisbane Entertainment Centre at Boondall.

Boondall is 20KM out of the CBD and is served by one train line. i’ve missed the last connection home because events have run late. the other option is to drive and park but ive also spent an hour getting out of the carpark

Brisbane live will be literally on top of the biggest train station in Brisbane with bus connections there too and because its the CBD there’s the parking options that come with that

this will be a massive legacy of 2032

6 Likes

$2.7 bil is an awful lot of money for a rebuild of the Gabba when you consider the 42,500 seat Sydney Football Stadium that was knocked down, rebuilt and opened last year only cost $830 mil by comparison.

3 Likes

Oval stadium v rectangular stadium. Essentially just the stadium v whole entertainment precinct in the heart of the city.

A new indoor arena is what Brisbane needs. Perth has RAC Arena in the CBD

2 Likes

It is an awful lot of money, which makes me think there might be some sort of tunnelling for roads involved. The roads that the Gabba overhang are major arterials.

4 Likes

I agree it will be great to replace Boondal with something in the city… Although I admit to having a real soft spot for Boondal despite the transport woes. Getting caught in the torrential rain trying to find my car in the huge carparks seemingly in the bushland surrounding it is one. And yes, sometimes it took an hour to get out after the concert. Often radio stations would play a block of songs from the concert artist immediately following the concert so people could crank it up in their cars while waiting to exit. Ah the 80s and 90s and the wonders of live and local radio. The only advantage of Boondal though was it had great access for Gold Coast and Sunshine Coast concert goers, being right on the Gateway.

2 Likes

I remember seeing the WWE there. I cranked up wrestling themes on my MP3 player that was played though a cassette adaptor. We just turned it into a party.

2 Likes

If the Feds can put in that much for stadiums for Brisbane, they have no leg to stand on to reject funding a Tasmanian stadium for the AFL team.

1 Like

They’re funding general things with this. There’s no Federal Funding for the Gabba. Plus this is the Olympics, not Hobart (no offence to Tassie).

2 Likes

That’s just an accounting trick - paying all of a 18,000 seat indoor arena and none of the Gabba is no different to paying half on each, other than perhaps putting the state on the hook for overruns on the more difficult project.

Hmm I dunno, they’re fully funding the indoor arena development and some other things and the QLD govt is paying for the Gabba. Sure it’s effectively splitting the bill but this is the Olympics and it was the agreement to split 50-50 made with the previous Federal Govt. It’s a different scale altogether. One could argue QLD has been short-changed in a big way on infrastructure spend in the 3 big eastern capitals for a decade or more. Without getting into too much detail, QLD had to go it alone with Cross River Rail while the Feds are stumping up cash for the Melbourne airport line. The Feds also jointly funded the Perth airport rail line while Brisbane had to go into a private partnership to build their airport rail line. Huge dollars have also poured into Sydney infrastructure of late too. There’s a lot of swings and roundabouts and IMO it’s definitely Brisbane’s turn at the moment, especially with the Olympics.

1 Like

Brisbane should build an Olympic Stadium with 80,000 seats then downgraded to a rectangular sports arena post-games at the QSAC.

1 Like

I know Bullets fans are hoping that they can move the Leroy Loggins statue at Boondall to that venue knowing that’s where they probably want to end up playing rather than sharing with the Netballers as they do now.

1 Like

QSAC already have an athletics track. London’s Olympic Stadium has been reconfigured into a multipurpose arena. Redeveloping and modernising QEII Stadium rather than The Gabba would be better.

2 Likes

That’s not how it works though - The Feds will support Brisbane’s plans because it’s underpinning the delivery of a significant international event, but it will be done in a directed way.

No, it’s not - the Feds are funding specific documented elements.

A lot of this was because the previous Government would only really come to the party to fund road infrastructure - anything else was a real struggle (and the states often decided to go alone).

Infrastructure spending should be made on a needs basis, not because its someone’s “turn”

3 Likes

laughs in Victorian

3 Likes

The need was implied by “turn”. There’s no need to be condescending. If you read my post I outlined how infrastructure spending has been below the ‘need’ in Brisbane for some time.

2 Likes