Stadia

Are you a dokers fan?:thinking:

1 Like

Yes. It’s a struggle :frowning:

1 Like

2019 Is a big year at Optus stadium. Eminem Came to Perth (27/2)
Still to come:
A-League Frand Final (19/5)
State of origin NRL (23/6)
Manchester United v Perth (13/7)
Leeds United v Perth (17/7)
Bledisloe Cup (10/8)
Afl Finals (September)
Metallica concert (17/10)
Australia v Nz test cricket (12-16/12)

What a year. What a lineup!

2 Likes

Assuming of course that WCE or FRE finish up high enough to host a final!

1 Like

Two weeks ago Australia Post released the first batch of new stamps celebrating some of the country’s stadiums. The four $1 stamps now on sale feature the MCG, AAMI Park, the SCG and Optus Stadium.

1 Like

Why AAMI Park? Odd one of the lot.

2 Likes

It does have a unique shaped roof, but it’s not one of Australia’s better known stadiums.

If you asked anyone where AAMI Park was, I reckon most people wouldn’t answer with Melbourne.

I would have gone with either Adelaide Oval or Suncorp Stadium (Brisbane) for the 4th stamp.

Both Adelaide Oval and Suncorp Stadium should be on the second batch of stamps.

If we’re going to put random stadiums on stamps…

2 Likes

Just to prove you can see it from just about anywhere in Cape Town, this is a shot of the Cape Town Stadium from the top of Table Mountain built for the 2010 World Cup and only used these days for a World 7s Tour Rugby tournament and for local soccer which attracts crowds worse than the A-League do.

Newlands, which is where the Cricket and Rugby venues are, is on another side of the mountain which due to time constraints I couldn’t visit this time. There has been some talk that like the Moses Mabhida Stadium in Durban (also built for the World Cup and finish line for the Down Run of the Comrades Marathon that I’ve now started 3 times without finishing) that the Rugby Teams (Stormers/Western Province in Cape Town, Sharks/Kwa-Zulu Natal in Durban) could relocate from their home grounds to play in these stadiums but nothing more than speculation has really happened.

Indeed here’s a snap of King’s Park (home of the Sharks and next door to Moses Mabhida) which is my wallpaper…

And somewhat unrelated, here’s a couple of Eden Park Auckland pics I took last year during their NPC (Mitre 10 Cup) final between Auckland and Canterbury the day before I ran the Auckland Marathon. They got over 20000 thanks to the free admission, but after it started bucketing down late in the first half everyone headed for cover, and even raced to the upstairs sections that were closed off initially. I thought it may have been closer to the CBD, but in reality it was like walking from the Brisbane CBD to the Gabba in terms of distance.

3 Likes

Siren sounds one last time at Subiaco Oval. The demolition of the stand will be completed by early next year.

3 Likes

They should have kept Subiaco for WAFL matches and some AFL matches involving Fremantle/West Coast and interstate teams which don’t have many travelling fans (e.g. GWS and Gold Coast).

Clearly spoken by someone that doesn’t live in WA. In its current form, Subiaco Oval is a massive eyesore / blight on the area and practically falling apart as it has been known for about 15 years that a replacement would be built so it has been let to rot accordingly.

interstate teams which don’t have many travelling fans (e.g. GWS and Gold Coast).

This isn’t Victoria, travelling fans don’t occupy more than a thousand seats anyway?

Not to mention the space is getting re-built to accommodate a desperately needed inner-city suburban public school.

4 Likes

Also West Coast could probably fill Optus Stadium without away fans anyway

And its a 60k seat stadium and out of a typical West Coast-Interstate game, there will be approximately 96% of West Coast Fans around the place. Around 3-4% would be away fans like Melbourne. I remembered the West Coast v Melbourne Preliminary Final 2018, where there were about 97% West Coast Eagles Fans at the game and most of the Melbourne Demons supporters have left the game as this game was a blowout!

The stadium held off five other incredible stadiums to scoop the international gong - called Prix Versailles for Sports - for architecture and design.

1 Like

When i’m in Auckland in a month i’ll be taking a tour of eden park. quite looking forward to it

1 Like

The Sunday Telegraph reports the redevelopment of Sydney’s Allianz Stadium is running way behind schedule and over budget. The original $729 million cost has blown up to $800 million, while the new stadium’s opening date has been pushed back to mid 2022.

1 Like

Somehow that doesn’t surprise me,

Lendlease demolished the old Sydney Football Stadium and was to build the new one as well.

2 Likes