Sports Broadcasting History

ABC broadcast 3rd Test of 1989 Ashes because Ch 9 were covering Wimbledon iirc; ABC used their own comnentators

That was definitely the case in 1997 ABC broadcast 3rd Test because Ch 9 were broadcasting Wimbledon. On that occasion they just used Ch 9 comms.

2 Likes

Does anyone know who broadcasted and commentated the XXXX Gold Beach Cricket for Ch10 alongside Andy Maher?

1 Like

Or have any video/caps?

There’s a few clips online, voices I recognise are Mark Howard, Tim Bailey, Colin Miller and Graham Gooch.

1 Like

That was the second game that PSN covered, the first being the Melbourne Tigers Vs Illawarra game in week 1.

Found this on YouTube, the full match of John McEnroe being defaulted out of Round 4 of the 1990 Australian Open.

It doesn’t have any commercials.

3 Likes

Im looking for 3 music track IDs from the Network 10 Rugby League broadcasts of 1985-1990, they were music played during try replays, and one of the tracks was the NEC big game 1985 intro.

Ive tried contacting Network Ten, Universal Music, and some rugby league and production music sites, and the NRL with no luck. If anyone has any suggestions to help find the track IDs, please let me know.

2 Likes

Back in 2010 Easter Monday was Bulldogs vs Richmond at Docklands

2 Likes

No it was 2009, as it says in the tweet you posted.

6 Likes

Southern Cross running 30 minutes early?

1 Like

Potentially to encourage Melburnians to go to the game at Etihad?

I know this did happen with the Saturday night finals on Ten if they were in Melbourne. If they weren’t a sellout they were not live in Melbourne normally IIRC.

3 Likes

Ah, makes sense. How I’d forgotten about delayed sport on FTA - something I’m glad we’re mostly past now.

5 Likes

Pretty much, It used to be an hour delay in Melbourne on Friday Night and live outside melbourne, Used to be the case when on Channel 7 too. On a Sunday it used to be up to an hour delay on Sunday afternoon because it was and still is a lead in to the news.

Saturday Night was Live everywhere pretty much 90% of the time.

2 Likes

And of course the next year Easter Monday was the traditional Anzac Day clash while Easter Tuesday was Geelong vs Hawthorn

When Seven jointly held the AFL rights with Ten between 2007-11, I recall that some Brisbane Lions matches used to be shown into Sydney on Sunday afternoons at 1:00pm. One of those matches was against the Sydney Swans at the SCG in round 3, 2007.

Conversely, some Sydney Swans matches were also shown live into Brisbane on Sunday afternoons at 1:00pm during that period, the only time they weren’t shown is if either the Lions or Swans played in the 2:10pm match, which would naturally require them to be shown live into their respective markets.

Also, on days when Seven Melbourne televised a match involving either the Adelaide Crows or Port Adelaide, it would not be shown into either Sydney or Brisbane (instead it would be a match not involving either the Lions or Swans). Can anyone recall why this was the case?

Case/s in point:

• Round 1, 2009: Seven showed a Foxtel match between Melbourne and North Melbourne live into Sydney and Brisbane, instead of the Port Adelaide vs Essendon match which was played at AAMI Stadium and started at 2:40pm local time.
  • Round 4, 2010: Seven showed a Foxtel match between Richmond and Melbourne live into Sydney and Brisbane, instead of the Geelong vs Port Adelaide match which was played at Kardinia Park and started at 2:10pm local time (was delayed by an hour in Melbourne).
  • Round 9, 2011: While Seven showed the Sydney Swans vs Hawthorn match (it was a Seven-produced match) live into Sydney, in Brisbane they showed a Foxtel match between Collingwood and the Adelaide Crows instead.
2 Likes

Hi Guys,

Watching the Stawell Gift this afternoon and watching youtube clips, I noticed that BTV 6 and HSV 7 used to do a co-production of the event pre aggregation.

Couple of Questions Spring up

When did the Co- Production stop for the Stawell Gift? Was it once aggregation happened?

What other Co-Production of Sporting event(ie Country Station with Metro Station but happy to accept 2 metro station in the same market) has there been?

Was the Stawell Gift only broadcast thru Victoria pre Aggregation and when did it go national?

Thanks

1 Like

Seven would never allow AFL to lead directly into news in Sydney. That’s the reason for the first game. Not sure about the others but if we could see the guide for that day, that would give us some clues.

Ten did it a couple of times too. It meant the same Foxtel-produced game was on FTA and Foxtel while the other FTA-produced game was either buried after midnight or not shown at all. Always used to cause outrage especially when it didn’t involve a local team.

1 Like

And still do it, the games on Seven don’t lead into the news, but if they do, they make sure to run it on 7mate.

1 Like

Here are 2 ads taken from the 1993 TFL grand final day program

7 Likes

A Seven Sport closer very much a product of its time…

Very ‘The Matrix’ inspired.

5 Likes