Sports Broadcasting History

I don’t think that Peter Donegan ever was a host on matches(could be wrong)

Don’t recall. There’s not a lot of material from Sports AFL on YouTube.

Drew Morphett was also working for ABC and Seven too.

Drew Morphett calling for Sports AFL in Round 8 of 1997 with Dermott Brereton, Gary Lyon and Craig Kelly.

And there’s Peter Donegan in Round 14 calling the match.

Never realised they had a permanent count up clock on screen, nor that they had the goals and behinds shown, but not the total scores.

3 Likes

Does anyone have any screen caps from when ABC TV had the rights to Women’s International Cricket? From what I remember, it was around 2011? I remember watching an Australia v New Zealand match at North Sydney?

2 Likes

How many times has Nine shown the Commonwealth Games? I knew it aired Auckland 1990, Kuala Lumpur 1998 and Melbourne 2006.

3 Likes

Nine shared some coverage with Fox Sports in 2006 according to some YT videos with Fox Sports overflow channels during the CG.

4 Likes

Yes, Nine was the FTA carrier for those games. What was the general opinion on the coverage for those games? I know people didn’t like their coverage for London 2012.

1 Like

I think 1982 was Nine’s first Commonwealth Games coverage (secondary to ABC’s coverage). IIRC, ABC covered both 1974 and 1978 Commonwealth Games.

ABC also covered the 1986 Edinburgh Commonwealth Games, then Nine picked up the 1990 Games. And then Ten in 1994.

3 Likes

The NBL’s YouTube channel is running classic NBL matches as live streams…

Tonight takes us to the Derwent Entertainment Centre as the Hobart Devils take on the Townsville Suns, as produced by Tas TV pre WIN days.

Also…how the fucking hell did the Tasmanian Rugby League get money for a spot on the court? Also, did Tasmanian Rugby League exist then?

3 Likes

There was a statewide competition in the 90’s

2 Likes

Well I’ll be a monkey’s uncle. I suppose they’ve gotta find something to do instead of playing silly buggers with their cousins. :stuck_out_tongue:

1 Like

Back in 1987 Channel Ten broadcast the VFL’s international series at the conclusion of the season with matches in Canada, The UK and Japan.

Here’s the opening of Sydney v Melbourne with Quarters interestingly presenting from the Broadcom/Sportsplay set which VFL fans from outside Victoria were familiar with in 1987, no idea if it’s from ATV’s studios or elsewhere, Bruce and Eddie commentating. Looks like they saved some cash on special comments or just forgot. I’m sure Brian Wilson was totally unbiased in his xommentary!

3 Likes

Ten also broadcast the infamous “Battle of Britain” between Carlton and North Melbourne from London in 1987 with Eddie McGuire and Bruce McAvaney calling the game.

4 Likes

The National Film and Sound Archive has published a highlights package of coverage of the 1970 VFL Grand Final, with the focus being around the spectacular mark by Alex Jesaulenko which has become one of the single defining moments in VFL/AFL history.

The re-mastered footage includes components from HSV7, 3AW, 3KZ and GTV9 – although it’s noted that Nine sourced its vision from ABC’s coverage but used its own commentary for broadcast on TCN9 in Sydney. Live telecast into Victoria was not allowed.

https://www.nfsa.gov.au/latest/1970-vfl-grand-final-50th-anniversary

7 Likes

That’s terrific. There’s not much of GTV’s VFL coverage easily available and the colour films never get much of a run.

Sad that Ian Cleeland can be heard calling out the racism and booing directed to Syd Jackson by the crowd that indigenous footballers would still be putting up with it half a century later.

5 Likes

ABC broadcast Day 3 of the 2004 2nd Test v Sri Lanka because of their AFL commitments iirc

2 Likes

ABC broadcast 3rd Test of 1989 Ashes because Ch 9 were covering Wimbledon iirc; ABC used their own comnentators

That was definitely the case in 1997 ABC broadcast 3rd Test because Ch 9 were broadcasting Wimbledon. On that occasion they just used Ch 9 comms.

2 Likes

Does anyone know who broadcasted and commentated the XXXX Gold Beach Cricket for Ch10 alongside Andy Maher?

1 Like

Or have any video/caps?