Seven & Ten News (SCA)

Maybe. Although it’s always sad when people in the media industry lose their jobs, somehow I don’t think too many people on these forums would be mourning the demise of the SCA Canberra graphics department when most of their work over the years has been closer to something you’d expect to see from a student project rather than broadcast-quality graphics! :stuck_out_tongue_winking_eye:

I doubt it. Southern Cross News Tasmania had a major (and well overdue!) On-Air Presentation relaunch only a couple of months ago, so I’d probably expect them to replace the Southern Cross News logo with the Seven News logo and call it a day.

Also, “Seven News” report signoffs will probably be played intact (and also used by local reporters for brand consistency) once the relaunch happens?

4 Likes

They did a similar thing for when the Gold Coast News launched, I think it’s standard variation of the logo:

https://mediaspy-org-s3.s3-ap-southeast-2.amazonaws.com/optimized/3X/4/6/46662ffc17c80e64b2089cf6c256c5768eb1c7a6_1_690x384.jpg

However, I wonder what the new Seven News Tasmania title-cards will look like? The light-box at the front of the new Set will also have to be changed.

8 Likes

I wonder if the SA bulletin will adopt the current 7news theme from July 1? Also I would assume a graphics refresh from July 1 to tie it in with 7nrws.

2 Likes

I’m currently in Tasmania on holiday and they included a short item on the upcoming name change:

11 Likes

Missed that one when it was on. We’re holidaying in Hobart ourselves so didn’t have my DVR to go back after interruptions. Enjoy your holiday!

2 Likes

They should have done this years ago.

They can now incorporate reports from Sydney/Melbourne/Canberra and Overseas a lot better.

I wonder if we’ll ever see the Seven Network buy out the local station.

4 Likes

My guess is they are lining their ducks up.

5 Likes

Thanks.

Here’s some caps of tonight’s news. Will post videos at a later date (likely when I return home):

7 Likes

one of the rare nights where sport was done from Launceston too.

2 Likes

Terrific set.

3 Likes

Am I the only one who’s sad about SC News Tas becoming 7 News Tas, and presumably the rest of the station moving to generic 7 branding?

Anyone else?? :slightly_frowning_face:

12 Likes

Kinda… the regional variations in Oz is one of the more interesting things about telly over there (coming from Ahn-Zud).

1 Like

not sad to see the News as it unfolds logo gone but sad to see the entire SC brand go. When I was growing up I dreamed of having all the same as the mainland and then we had full Ten branding for TDT10 for years and now we have the same again for TDT9 but as I’ve grown older I’ve got a new appreciation for keeping unique cultures and things that are locally unique so I’ll be a little sad when that goes. I do wish they would change LCN though or have both 6 and 7 range pointing to the various streams.

5 Likes

Would be problematic when the ducting comes in to/from Melbourne / Geelong.

That doesn’t happen anywhere near as much as it used to unfortunately and most receivers prioritise the stronger signal I believe. The actual frequencies won’t change just the shortcuts.

1 Like

Nope. I hear you. This sort of crap should be made illegal. I’d love it if American style affiliation relationships and identification rules were brought in. That’d really put the fly in the ointment.

4 Likes

Then explain how ABC and SBS can keep 2 and 3 LCNs across the entire country?

Sheer laziness.

I’m not sad, maybe it’ll lead to actually having more than 15 mins of news pushed out into 40 mins. Its not like the local bulletin is disappearing. Gets rid of the silly situations like 7 Melb sending a person down to Hobart after the flood when someone in Hobart could have done the job more than adequately.
As for the 7 branding, it’s been a sloppy set up for years of having the odd promo for 7 make it to air.
Yes, bit sad the SC branding is disappearing but you’d argue it is inevitable that once the reach rule disappears these ‘smaller’ guys would sell out to their metro suppliers anyway.

1 Like

Just because it’s becoming 7 News in name may not mean anything else changes. It’s still owned by Southern Cross, not Seven.

6 Likes

Yes, I’m aware Southern Cross still own that and 50% of the joint venture here but won’t have their name attached to either. You’d hope it changes silliness like this though. Seems such a waste of resources to send someone down when someone from the affiliate would suffice. Nothing wrong with metro and regionals working together in harmony. At a guess, if the reach rule wasn’t there Southern Cross would possibly sell out to 7 anyway.

1 Like