Seven & Ten News (SCA)

I know the current logo for Southern Cross News in Tasmania is meant to stand for “News As It Unfolds” but personally I think it looks rather tacky.

4 Likes

That’s basically what GTS/BKN use for their news bulletin for the titlecard. They also use the star logo as the “watermark” for when story graphics appear.

Regardless, GTS/BKN and TNT need a consistent branding identity for their news bulletins. With GTS/BKN using their own theme and the 2013 graphics, TNT using the old Seven News theme with the (hideous) 2011 graphics, and separate logos for each, branding is a bit confused.

2 Likes

Would viewers even care?

2 Likes

[quote=“SydneyCityTV, post:451, topic:239, full:true”]
I know the current logo for Southern Cross News in Tasmania is meant to stand for “News As It Unfolds” but personally I think it looks rather tacky.
[/quote]Tacky since its original design launched in late 2009/early 2010 and when modified in mid-2011.

I know there were rumours floating about of a relaunch some time ago (which were proven wrong at the time obviously), but since they are preparing to move out of their old South Launceston premise, you would surely see a full relaunch to occur at the same time.

I did recently receive a reply to an unrelated question from Josh Goodyer and he said it’s “in the works”.

I’ve heard that one before so it’s a matter of wait and see…

3 Likes

Presumably, as long as Jo stays with Southern Cross, the old graphics are nothing to debate on. Plus, GTS/BKN viewers do not care about that as well, since they are the ONLY commercial TV company in the region.

Definitely not in regards to their Tasmanian market. They are clear winners and viewers continue to tune in with little to no competition from WIN.

After all, the majority of people tune in to be informed of the current happenings around the world and not what the news theme or presentation looks like (unlike us enthusiasts on this forum :stuck_out_tongue_winking_eye:).

3 Likes

I think that’s definitely something they should look into. It’s very convenient timin for such a move with SCA soon to move into new Launceston premesis as well as move out of their current Canberra location.

It would mean only one new TV studio complex would need to be setup, as well as streamlining operations and staffing. They realistically only produce a small amount of content outside of Tasmania, and that will only reduce if they do eventually sell off Ten NNSW (yes, I’m aware the recent talks with WIN fell through, but it’s still an option for the future). It would be of benefit to all their bulletins/updates to centralize staffing with certain staff easily able to work across all products. For example, 1 person to look after branding for all bulletins - even if they don’t get a consistent look. They would also have a larger pool of staff to use if someone called in sick or took holidays - something they will soon struggle with in Canberra with half their journalists no longer required.

1 Like

Regional network ownership changes could occur before SCA moves out of their current locations in Tasmania and Canberra, so I would suggest it is extremely unlikely that GTS/BKN news would (ever) be done out of Tasmania. A news bulletin out of Seven or Nine in Adelaide would be more logical, (depending on how the metro networks split up the ownership of the joint venture stations and solus markets after the media laws change and the mergers happen).

It was so much better! It evoked authority, importance and most of all whenever I heard it I would stop what I was doing and turn to the television. It was the best news theme of anywhere around the world ever and still is in my opinion.

4 Likes

Montage:

7 Likes

Still using Ten-esque OTS graphics in 2003? How odd.

4 Likes

Before TDT was born, Southern Cross Tasmania is a hybrid Seven-Ten affiliate, so their graphics and resources were distributed between the two.

2 Likes

well aware, just very out of place amongst the rest of the Seven inspired package in that shot. Their late 90s package blended them in a very effective manner.

1 Like

Nowadays, these fusions are a thing of a past. I’m still wondering what would happen if SC Tas moved out from Launceston, especially in the graphics of their news?

I’m not so sure. Tasmania will retain a studio regardless of who owns TNT. They’ll likely do a “Perth” (Ten and Nine) and move into a CBD office block somewhere, but still the bulletin is so strong in the ratings it would be a bad commercial decision to ever get rid of it.

Southern Cross is clearly liquidating their real estate ahead of a sale. They’ve said publically they are ‘more of a radio company than television’. I don’t think they will wait around forever for media reforms. Indeed the clock will start ticking on their Canberra and Launceston sales before long.

If they become impatient, I forsee a scenario where they divest to Prime Media Group. If that were the case, I don’t see why they wouldn’t read the GTS/BKN bulletin out of Launceston. The Prime newsroom in Canberra is packed to the rafters right now, don’t think they could cope with more!

5 Likes

I know I’m talking about a composite bulletin, but it was the same on tonight’s SC News Tasmania, with Alex Hart mentioning Rachel (filling in for Jo Palmer) at the start of a pre-recorded piece about the same story mentioned above.

During my stay in Tassie, I’ve been watching quite a bit of SC News, which provides a good mix of local, national & international news in a single 1-hour bulletin as opposed to two separate bulletins spreading across 90 minutes on WIN.

1 Like

Sam Mac made a special appearance on Southern Cross News SA tonight presenting the weather.

8 Likes

That’s fantastic. Excellent example of an affiliate using network resources to their advantage.

4 Likes

Some examples of the local news inserts shown during Sunrise these days:

13 Likes

Promo:

7 Likes