Southern Cross Austereo (Regional)

There’s serious problems at SCA GV. They’ve had a very high turnover of talent on both stations in recent years - amongst the highest of any SCA office - and have had obviously had problems filling those vacancies, with talent not being replaced for many months. It shouldn’t be hard to get talent to work in Shepparton - it’s reasonably close to Melbourne and most younger talent want to work for SCA given it’s national regional/metro reach.

4 Likes

I’m yet to hear any of Elly Chaney’s on-air presenting work (hopefully that will happen at some point in the future) but from the little I’ve heard about her, I get the distinct impression that she may have a very bright future in radio ahead.

Even though I’ve never been in the market or have had any connections with it, I’d also be rather interested to know what’s going on behind the scenes at SCA Shepparton/Goulburn Valley!

Although I’d imagine Jess Farchione and Gemma Maddox would’ve left Hit 96.9 purely because the opportunities in Newcastle & Canberra respectively were too good to ignore + there probably being more expansive radio opportunities in larger regional markets like those compared to somewhere like Shepparton/the Goulburn Valley. :slight_smile:

3 Likes

Jess and Gemma’s departures are definitely because better opportunities arose. But then, these opportunities tend to present themselves more when people are ready to move on. I’m also fairly sure Tommy’s departure was a legitimate family issue that made the distance too difficult.

But then there’s Locco - sure, it was time for him to move on from radio, but that hadn’t stopped him before. Something made him decide that it was finally time to move on - suspiciously at the same time as other movements.

As for Thom, if what @tommy13190 says is true, then I don’t really think that’s a good enough reason to sack him. Sure, it’s pretty bad misconduct, but if he had any talent (which presumably he did to get the job a month or so earlier) a warning and compliance training would usually be as far as it would go.

As much as I spruik Shepparton as being good for talent because it’s close to Melbourne, it’s also the smallest of the towns a similar distance from Melbourne, and has a very low socio-economic demographic. It’s not a place I’d want to spend a lot of time in - but that’s also the case for many other regional markets.

4 Likes

It was a terrible shame for Locco to have retired from his radio career, very successfully in Cairns to a farm within driving distance to Shep only to have his last station to be so unpalatable.

The Content Director, Billy McFerran has also moved on to ACE as mentoring chief.

Heck Even I want a Job at SCA GV. I live in the GV as well.

High turnover of staff has been going on long before SCA days. The high turnover has been going since Greg Evans was on 3SR.

It has got even worse since SCA branded Hit and TripleM.

2 Likes

It’s that time of the year again folks, greatest decade of all time and did I just hear correctly that the 90’s beat out the 80’s. Oh dear.

3 Likes

On the topic of the “Greatest Decade of All Time”, I’m currently in Coffs Harbour for a holiday, and it appears during the feature that Triple M Coffs Coast is carrying the Classic Hits log in parallel with its Mid North Coast station, even when not doing the “decade vs decade” battle. During breakfast, Triple M Coffs was carrying the normal “70s to Now” log & still uses the “Greatest Hits from the 70s to Now” positioner on its sweepers.

And I can confirm for myself that Triple M Mid North Coast is heard across most of Coffs Harbour almost as clear as a local on 106.7 from Kempsey.

3 Likes

Perhaps Moffey should be updating what’s in his system. I’m not surprised.

SCA again on a hiding to nothing, turning audiences off by running the same log in both markets.

And it’s fine in building too. It’s why ROX FM did so well.

1 Like

Yes, ROX used to have an office in Coffs, it also helped them significantly that they were on air about 3.5 years before FM105.5 went to air.

Yes, so good in that I originally thought that ROX FM was actually a Coffs Harbour station, transmitting from Mt Moombil, not a Port Macquarie-Kenpsey station.

The only thing that perplexed me back then is why their signal tailed off significantly north of Woolgoolga, fading to virtually nothing by even Halfway Creek when the other ABC stations from Moombil were still as clear as a bell.

1 Like

So 106.3 Coffs Coast is now a Classic hits station?

I seem to remember while growing up in Grafton in the 90’s that 105.5 branded as Hot 1055 for a short time. Was this the case or was I hearing things?

2 Likes

At least for the duration of the “Greatest Decade of All Time”, yes.

Looking through its Facebook pages & the playlists on Radioapp, Triple M Central West has also gone with the Classic Hits log. Other stations that normally take the ‘70s to Now’ log in VIC & QLD (inc Fraser Coast, which recently flipped from ‘Classic Hits’ to ‘70s to Now’) has gone with the ‘80s, 90s & Now’ GC log for the duration of the “Greatest Decade of All Time”.

FYI, for today, the 60s was the winning decade on the ‘Classic Hits’ stations, whilst the 90s was the winner on the ‘Greatest Hits’ stations.

1 Like

No, you are correct, they had 3 different ID’s before settling on Star FM in 2000

• FM105.5
  • Hot 105.5
  • 1055 Hot FM
1 Like

The Qld HOT’s did a rebrand also in 1998 - hot103 in Cairns and Townsville and hot100 in Mackay. They changed back to frequency-hotfm after about 6 months or so due to the start of networking and the plans of the hubs.

4 Likes

There’s two new weekend shows on air at hit104.7 in Canberra: starting last Sunday, @instacan (4-6pm) - hosted by mornings announcer Bethany Larsen with Big Brother season 11 contestant Jason Roses, and former 2DayFM afternoons jock Ellie Angel-Mobbs.

Also kicking off recently is music show This Week Tonight (6-8pm) with afternoon jock Gemma Maddox and Nic Kelly from SeaFM Central Coast, which is also taking the show.

2 Likes

For those who wonder where 91.9 Sea FM breakfast co-host Jess Eva has been in the past few months, she was in Melbourne competing in the new season of The Block with her fiance Norm. Did BarRat do breakfast alone during her absence or did anyone fill in for her?

Former 919 Sea FM Breakfast co-host “Jade” was filing in whilst she was away.

1 Like

BarRat? That sounds like he’s a raging alcoholic.

hehehe. I was thinking that it sound like Borat’s Brother LOL