Southern Cross Austereo (Regional)

[quote=“TV.Cynic, post:623, topic:56, full:true”]
SEA FM made the Gold Coast news - explaining their new logo and colour scheme and “assuring listeners that local content will remain the same” .[/quote]Southern Cross Tasmania made mention of the rebrand of HeartFM to Triple M last night also.

I’ve read quite a number of angry comments regarding this rebrand. Mainly because it’s lost its “local identity” etc.

There was a story on Prime news Albury about the change too.

Did anyone record these news stories?

The Albury story is on the prime website.

2 Likes

I’ll check when I’m there early next year. :smiley: ACMA reckons it’s ok.

1 Like

Report from Nine GC News on Sea FM

1 Like

http://www.sctvnews.com.au/news/
Go to the top middle upload and skip to 10:42.

1 Like

Will the brand confusion resolve? MMM in metro markets doesn’t share the format as regional MMM stations due to the less fragmented market.

MMM in metro markets is all about males, MMM in regional markets is all people 35 - 55.

For AM markets, audience have been asking when they’re going FM.

Regional MMM markets will play Michael Buble. Not in the format for metros.

13 27 10 as evidenced on social media continues rather than in metros where the on air number is 13 33 53.

4 Likes

I like the quote on the news report: “listeners on the Gold Coast now know that we are part of a united front”

I have often hoped that the radio station I listen to is part of a united front. Not.

I actually hope that my radio station is unique and pumping out music for me and my city.

ARN has tried to push out the KIIS brand and lip logo in Melbourne and Perth with no success. In fact the Perth rebrand is a classic fail.

SCA seem to have a lot of faith in their blue (green?) and pink “H” logo. In all honesty it is a little ghastly. It reminds me of a blow-up jumping castle.

NX - two letters that were synonymous with Newcastle. Hit - one word that is used by every Top 40 radio station on the planet. Newcastle - welcome to Sydney.

8 Likes

United front = heavily networked

10 Likes

@nickatnights
Totally agree with all your comments. That “united front” quote is just embarrassing! I can’t find any logical rationale for it. Giant networks in the US don’t feel the need for a common brand to sell their advertising. And Triple M on AM is just cringe worthy. Also hate both logos.

4 Likes

KIIS is up in Melbs compared to Mix. It’s doing better, slowly.

1 Like

A few points early on in the rebrand.

Generally it won’t make much difference to the average audience, as the formats aren’t changing, but plenty will be sorry to see the local heritage names gone.

The Hit network names may work, as they are only new & are largely meaningless, but this is the best thing SCA could’ve done to destroy the Triple M brand.

SCA obviously doesn’t understand branding a business/product, which isn’t good, considering the business they’re in.

Coca-Cola, McDonalds, Kmart, Woolworths, Billabong, Sony, Panasonic, Optus (yes branding), etc. are all the same wherever you go. You see the brand, & you know straight off what you’re getting.

The Triple M brand is different in the metro markets & there’s what 3 different formats regionally. Drive from Melbourne to Brisbane & you’ll pass through all 4 formats, but outside the locals, you’re not going to know what to expect until you pass through the area & hear what’s actually on TripleM.

This was all done with the hope of more sales at more profit to SCA, only problem is they need to sack their advertising (creative) staff. I’ve just seen an ad for Hit106.9 Newcastle on TV & it bears no resemblance to anything radio, bar the Hit106.9 logo at the end.
No resemblance to radio & a new branding/logo that no-one knows, people are going to go WTF was that ad about?
They can’t even sell there own network well, let alone a business owner having the confidence of SCA selling their product.

9 Likes

Triple M have been guilty of this for years.

Sydney and Melbourne were generally predominantly rock, Brisbane for quite a while was “widest variety” and Adelaide was “Classic Triple M”.

It just became more magnified now.

1 Like

You know what, I think it could be successful, I am sorry to see heritage brands gone but I haven’t seen or heard much uproar besides the few on here really, I’ve looked on the Facebook pages and even asked around, most people like the fresh change with access to quality content (outside of their regular breakfast show), in Newcastle I’ve heard the call for more NRL of many people, wouldn’t mind seeing the deadset legends nightly show (Rush Hour) from 6 on some of the League strongholds (Newcastle, Bathurst, Townsville etc).
I believe some of the AFL stations are taking their Rush Hour live from Melbourne or at least from 4.

Yes, the Victorian Triple Ms (including Albury) have taken the Rush Hour for the last 2 years at least. I’m not sure what it was most recently, but it has been both live and delayed at various times.

I think you hit the nail on the head. SCA doesn’t understand branding. As you say that’s scary considering the business they’re in.

3 Likes

They understand networking and cutting down on local content which surely is the end result of this.

3 Likes

Are they taking news from the metros now or from the Gold Coast still on weekends, couldn’t work it out this afternoon, and probably heard the best DJ name to date on KOFM “Burger” no idea why he chose that, heard him a few times.

Little comment on Facebook due to the ‘moderation’ aka deleting negative comments.

As for audience enjoying content beyond bfast, this is the problem, audience should demand quality local content across all shifts instead of networked, largely irrelevant content.

Radio is about immediacy, being local on air and connecting with clients, audience and the community off air. Networking outside of bfast through to the next bfast shift is not good radio, it’s great for accountants, great for sales who are not doing their jobs correctly to communicate to clients and agencies what the various brands mean.

4 Likes