Southern Cross Austereo (Regional)

Music shift, they had Nellie another night too

I’m not sure exactly how they work especially regionally. Most of their focus goes to metro stations. They’d have so many stations to cover as well

Yes, couldn’t imagine AV doing a talkback shift.

With a little over a month to go, is there any indication of what the logos for 4TOFM, 2GO, Gold FM, KOFM, and Mix 94.5 will be upon launch of the new Triple M network? Press release only mentions that they will use the colour schemes of Triple M. I will assume Dr Dan will feature as part of these logos in these markets?

1 Like

at the moment plans are simply to run the gradient over the current logos, plus only mention being part of the “Triple M Network” twice an hour - during news and out of a commercial break.

By Christmas next year however… a different story. Whether they like it or not.

2 Likes

So no Dr. Dan for these markets then? I would have thought it would have be a key part to help transition these markets to the Triple M brand.

1 Like

Plans are that the network feed from GOLD FM will say “on the Triple M Network” - such as Greatest Years in Music and the like.

All stations are keeping their same content. Only over the Christmas break will there be more sports and talkback with the cricket etc, but when all staff are back in mid January the 4 Triple M streams will be back operating.

3 Likes

I’m not aware of that.

I know there’s a VERY BIG concert/world trip planned for tactic launch. Similar to what happened 2? years ago during the Christmas break on the regionals.

1 Like

Also interesting to note is the same colour scheme is used by Grant Broadcasters for Power 100 in Townsville. I wonder if Grant had any idea at the time that 4TO would eventually be blown up in favour of Triple M? Two stations with the same colour scheme and similar taglines will be confusing for some. (ie. 4TO/Triple M Rocks Townsville vs Power 100 Rocking Townsville)

no you see everyone is of the belief that these stations are all going to be rockified - they’re not. They are simply the stations you have now but renamed (or 4 not to be renamed but you know…)

4TO will remain “Greatest Hits of the 70s to Now”.

2 Likes

Rather than Dr Dan, maybe they should unify with Barry the Monkey… you never know what Triple M format we’ll play next…

2 Likes

Interesting… Don’t see what the point of blowing up the brand for one that is associated with rock if it isn’t. Also confusing for those who travel or move about to tune into Triple M to find greatest hits playing instead.

3 Likes

> Will the music format and target demographic change for regional Triple M stations?

No. It is simply a brand change with a new look & feel. Stations will remain the same

formats and target the same demographics. Stations will not become a Rock station or

heavily target males. For the consumer, we are still the same station, with the same

announcers and play the same music they know and love.

2 Likes

Yeah I mean for those for example traveling from Sydney to Coffs Harbour turning on 106.3 Triple M expecting to hear AC/DC will be confused to hear Taylor Swift instead!

4 Likes

Thanks for sharing this @Megalomaniacally …I was simply sharing my opinion that the common bloke out there sees Triple M as a Male skewed Rock station. Maybe these older heritage stations should have gone into their own network… Something like Gold FM out something that spells out a better name than tacking on the back of a brand that has been built over 20-odd years as being Rock orientated… (Except that failed Classic Triple M experiment in Adelaide)

4 Likes

The amusing thing for me was that the current Triple M logo was introduced with the “Totally Different” rebranding of Adelaide to a hit music station to try and take on the incoming Nova.

So the branding that years ago had me fearing that Triple M would rebrand away from rock, now has people worried it will make stations become rock.

2 Likes

For me a “brand” represents a consistent product or service available in multiple locations. I just don’t understand how you can have a national Triple M brand if it is not unified in both format and presentation. The look and feel are only part of the brand, but the music format is pivotal.

I can see a logic for the Hit name to replace Star FM because the format will be close enough - when I am in Gippsland, Star FM isn’t hugely different from Fox, but trying to pretend that the local “Triple M” (3GG - even though it isn’t SCA owned) is the same product as a 3MMM Melbourne is just not going to work for your average listener - as easily pointed out by stilesykenny.

Bottom line, Hit should work, whereas as Triple M won’t as the brand is diluted as listeners won’t understand what it represents, which means the heritage brands should be retained or AlanCramer’s suggestion adopted. Following this philosophy that means Eon-FM is in and Fox-FM is out for Melbourne which would be interesting to hear albeit bloody unlikely.

7 Likes

That’s what happens when you mess with brands, confuses people.

Interesting to see if clients are confused, that’s where the rubber will hit the road.

2 Likes

where I work the clients aren’t worried at all, we’re over 130+% over budget!

1 Like

Good. Were you or the workplace over budget by the same amount last year?