Sign-ons and Offs

Here’s an very odd sign off I found youtube for Channel 9 Perth, feels like analogue horror:

2 Likes

Here’s a few more Canadian sign offs, from the late 1990’s to 2000’s. By the looks of things, Canadian tv stations took way longer then there US counterparts, who started 24/7 broadcasting around the mid 1990’s:
CTV Toronto Sign Off 2002:

CKY Winnipeg Sign Off 1996:

CTV Winnipeg (CKY rebranded) Sign off 2001:

CBC Winnipeg Sign Off 2006:

CBC Vancouver Sign Off 1996:

CBC Ontario Sign Off 1998:

3 Likes

Global still briefly “sign off” every night [edit… well, six nights a week at least] even now, but it barely counts - it’s a lazy way to realign their late-night schedule, so instead of finding an odd-shaped show(s) to fill the 23 minutes until the “start of schedule day” at 5am - or indeed, sacrificing or adding ads in the overnight slots to catch up - they just give up and (in past times at least) show a still of the Global logo (at 4.37 on weekday overnights, and similar times on Sat night when SNL sends it off-kilter) and some prod music.

Since no-one turns the transmitter off anymore, it’s not a real sign on/off, but they still call it that in the schedule.

1 Like

A sign off from Tas Tv 1987

2 Likes

Sorry to necro this thread, but has anyone seen the last of the TVW7 closedowns? Especially from 2000 with the new logo? Did they bother updating the graphics, were they still using the old Discover branding that was used in the 1997 clip (which was already out of date in 1997), or did they just cut to a testcard/still image?

I get that it’s an extremely long shot, but it’s not archived online, and I assume that my Perth-based family members have chucked out their videos and/or VCRs ages ago. I guess I’m curious because they changed the logo before 24h transmission.

4 Likes

Does anyone know when last closedown for Tvw 7 was etc with the date

i live in Adelaide Ch 10 in Adelaide were still closing down in 1994 not sure on the final date for it i could do a bit research for it etc

3 Likes

They were still closing down in the early 2000s? If they were I would imagine the final closedown could be around 2002 when BCM was opened.

SAS 7 was closing down as late as 1993, closedown video had the 1990 logo at the end.

1 Like

This 1986 sign-off from KCRA in Sacramento, California, includes two vaguely creepy films–a rendition of the poem High Flight with electronic music and images of fighter jets, and a film with nature scenes accompanied by a very old recording of the 1940s song Bluebird of Happiness:

1 Like

the abc was still too closing down in 1993 sas 7 too in that year

Nws Nine one was around 1984 or 1985

2 Likes

I don’t know the exact date, but everything I’ve read says that TVW7 started 24 hour broadcasting in March 2000.

5 Likes

Another NRTV sign off from the early 90s. Figured it was just before aggregation came in cause the LifeLine plug doesn’t have the Tamworth or Newcastle phone numbers

3 Likes