Seven West Media

Or Network Ten before it was delisted in 2017 prior to the CBS takeover?

1 Like

When comparing, you should be looking at market capitalisation, not share price on its own. (Share price x shares on issue)

2 Likes

At the same situation and administrations were called for Ten prior to its acquisition by CBS in June 2017.

Wonder if Comcast buys SWM and The West Australian becomes independently owned again? Tough times for SWM.

Seven Studios and shares in Airtasker and lender SocietyOne could be sold, the SMH is reporting. Here:

So I think it could mean other assets including Red Live and stakes in HealthEngine, Huddle Insurance and Starts at 60 may be sold if Seven needs the cash?

4 Likes

If Seven Studios is sold then Seven won’t have any in-house production apart from news, Sunrise, The Morning Show, The Daily Edition, and sport.

SWM’s shares closed at 20.5c today.

1 Like

I disagree about the situation - Ten were reliant on major shareholder backed funding guarantees (that were ultimately withdrawn).

3 Likes

Not uncommon, 10 and 9 don’t produce a lot of content outside of News & Current Affairs either.

1 Like

I’d go further it’s an abomination for the network that will destroy it all because they bowed down to News Corp by not doing the ODI’s …

One word: IDIOTS.

1 Like

Selling Seven Studios will mean production of Home and Away will be outsourced for the very first time. Will this affect the production quality?
I think SWM should keep Seven Studios and make it semi autonomous arm of the group, similar to ITV Studios in UK or ABC Studios, CBS Studios and Universal Television in America. It means it can produce shows for other networks and streaming services.

1 Like

Not necessarily, I don’t see why any reason Seven couldn’t bring that in-house under a different arm as a part of the condition of sale. Though, based on recent events re possibly network censorship of that very program it may not be such a bad idea for production to move to a 3rd party.

And they’re already doing that - the Packed to the Rafters reboot was sold to Amazon Prime Video.

I believe they are already doing that.

It’s probably doing greater harm to Cricket Australia then Seven at the moment - however it is irrelevant to it being onerous though

for those playing at home, I quote from the good book AASB137:

Seven say this relates to the Cricket (as I pointed out above), the Olympics and some legacy US content deals because; Ad revenues are down, the cost to broadcast is increasing, US ratings are down

1 Like

Seven Studios already do that.

2 Likes

you do realise they are paying for it and as such hoarding it which is in breach of the Anti-Siphoning laws, oh wait this government will never go after News Corp which are their master, weak bastards.

1 Like

Seven didnt acquire the ODI rights - which allowed Foxtel to do so by exploiting a loophole in the rules around the anti-siphoning list (Labor had planned to close it, the Libs were like :man_shrugging:)

This has interesting consequences for how the list works - if a chosen FTA partner doesn’t wish to take up the rights to a listed event, the sport doesn’t necessarily have to find another FTA partner who does, the test has been met. The list doesnt guarantee that the sport will be shown on FTA - it gives the industry the first right of refusal

The lack of action from anyone other then fans toward this move suggests that others were potential across it and it was only a matter of time before it occurred.

4 Likes

While under the ownership of SWM, yes.

I think you will find they did get the FTA rights for the ODI’s and that Seven have stated that they are not going to broadcast those matches.

That is hoarding which is against the rules however this current government will do nothing about it.

[Citation Needed]

3 Likes

Yes but you said:

Which sounds like you’re saying that they will be able to produce them in the future but they do that already. It hasn’t been a restriction under SWM.

1 Like

Really? It was mentioned at the time of the broadcast deal that Seven does have the FTA rights but won’t be broadcasting said games.

Google is your friend.

1 Like